FEG Hi-power clones??

glockorama

I have been thinking of taking some of my tax return and purchasing one of those FEG Hi-power clones ($250 at my local shop). What's the skinny on these guns? Are they reliable and accurate like a browning? Do all of the parts interchange?

I have one, they're a true BHP clone. AFAIK, all the parts are interchangable with standard BHP parts. Mine is certainly worth what I paid for it...

I had an FEG Hi-Power clone back in 1987 that gave me quite a scare. The hammer slipped over the sear while the safety was applied, firing a round into the ground while I was walking with the pistol in my hand. I thought I must have mishandled the arm at first. Once I'd settled my shaking hands down, however, I saw that the safety was still engaged in its slide notch. This had kept the slide locked in battery after the cartridge discharged and the empty case was still in the chamber.

The lesson for me was to inspect the quality and adherence to tolerances on all arms. Also, I now value firing pin locks such as are found on Colt's Series 80 pistols and most modern designs.

Benton, thanks for sharing that story. That's the first complaint I've heard about an FEG.

There are many old threads on TFL about them, most are complimentary. I've owned one for over a year and enjoy it very much. Reliable, accurate, that great BHP feel..what's not to like?

FYI FEG is the maufacturer for Hungary's military arms. From what I have heard, they are generally considered to have good quality control, though not always the cleanest looks. Some machining marks, etc. My gun bears that out. It has some machining marks in non-visible places, but it functions properly.

Overall, I think its a great gun for the money. If I had a problem like yours, Benton, I would expect warranty to cover a repair or replacement.

Back