Feeling accomplished :p

Slimjim9

I'm not a gunsmith but I can follow YouTube as well as the next guy. :rolleyes: :p

I successfully swapped out the trigger on my G19 for a smooth faced one. First time disassembling the frame after 2100 rounds and it wasn't that dirty. Just wiped down everything I could reach with a dry patch. I hope to shoot it tomorrow.

Also swapped out the front sight on my GP100 for a Meprolight tritium dot a couple weeks ago. I haven't shot with it yet either. Both guns are getting closer to perfect. :cool:

Shot my reassembled G19 with the flat face trigger today. No issues. Guess I did something right. ;) I'm thinking this gun is probably done.

Didn't really care for the tritium on the GP100 indoors though. I guess the search continues there.

Congratulations!

It's probably time for me to detail strip my G19, as well (2.5 years and ~1500 rounds). I refer to myself as 'mechanically reclined,' so the simplicity of Glocks is a bonus for me.

I didn't detail strip the slide yet, just the frame. Pretty simple. The only gotcha one of the YouTube vids pointed out is that none of the pins should take very much pressure to get out. One of mine took some wiggling of parts to come out easily. If you feel the urge to reach for a hammer, DON'T. :p

The slide isn't hard. Personally, I feel like that as simple and open as the Glock frame is, that cleaning is adequate for function without a detail strip of the frame. I'm a bit more enthusiastic about detail stripping the slide once or twice a year to be certain that the firing pin channel stays clean. Now that I think about it, I might have a project for this evening since there is no Monday night football.

No, the slide isn't hard! After I posted above, I finally decided to strip the slide to clean & check the firing pin channel the same night. I just followed directions that I found online (from glockparts or glockforums, or something). I haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, but: (1) everything appears normal in dry firing; (2) I didn't have any parts left over; and (3) I put parts in a ziploc bag as they came off the slide, so I know that I didn't lose any, either. :D

At some point, I'll tackle disassembly of the frame, but I think that will really be just for my own edification. I haven't seen or read anything that tells me that cleaning down in the frame parts is really necessary for function, at least not frequent cleaning. For the time being, I just hit what I could reach with a brush and blew it all out with compressed air.

Atta boy, Spats. I found other trouble to get into last night, including making some 9 mm ammo, and didn't get to my slide. Tonight's another chance, though.

Uh oh, you've stepped into the world of amateur gunsmithing. Soon you might find yourself buying needle files, hard Arkansas stones, high grit sandpaper, greases, brass and steel punches, buffing/polishing compound, etc.

dyl said:
Uh oh, you've stepped into the world of amateur gunsmithing. Soon you might find yourself buying needle files, hard Arkansas stones, high grit sandpaper, greases, brass and steel punches, buffing/polishing compound, etc
I can quit any time I want. ;)

Bravo!

That is an accomplishment. Bravo. I feel accomplished when I get the bolt to my mosin reassembled and adjusted (Actually a pretty simple task). Well done to you.

Live well, be safe
Prof Young

Back