Feeding problem Savage 110 300 mag

Reyn

I have a Savage 110 in 300mag. Ive noticed if i cycle the bolt slowly the rounds will sometimes pop out. Doesnt do it all the time and only when i cycle slower. If i cycle fast it doesnt happen. Seems when the round starts to clear the lips of the internal magazine it will pop out and get caught by the bolt. Ive been told its normal with the Savages. Anyone else experienced this?

Welcome to our nightmare, Reyn! ;)

Actually this is a problem encountered with most bolt-actions feeding magnum cases. It is caused by the shape of the case. All bolt-actions should be cycled smartly to insure proper chambering of the round. Cycling too slowly can cause the magnum cases to jump out from under the feed rails too soon and be thrown out of the action - it's just the nature of the beast. The short magnums and super-short magnums have this problem as well. If your rifle starts doing it when cycled at a quicker speed, you may need to have the feed rails reworked by a gunsmith or Savage.

Never had a Savage, but nor have I never experienced this with Ruger, Weatherby, or Remingtion magnum rifles. Never with my Browning either, but it is an '06.

Not only is it normal with Savages, it is normal with any brand of push feed rifle. That is why controlled round feeding rifles are considered superior by many. If you don't know the difference between the two do a search here. Push feed works just fine as long as you work the bolt smoothly and quickly, as you have found, going slow can cause problems. It is operator induced failure. As long as you work the bolt properly it should not happen.

bergie

116 savage in 300 win mag

no problems feeding it. although, it was a bit difficult to load the internal magazine. very difficult at first, but the last three rounds that were pushed down into the magazine went in much easier, but still not what i would call smooth.

Thanks guys.ena1512,when i purchased the gun mine was also hard to load. I believe this is because the previous owner had pinched the lips of the internal magazine together because he had the same problems im having now. When i purchased mine i ordered another internal magazine because mine was so hard to load.

I've never had the problem with an internal magazine rifle in over 50 years of shooting. When shooting at the range, I generally single-load. In the field, I work the action quickly after a shot, so if I were to miss, it's ready for another.

Another theory I have is that if the action is operated as quickly as possible after the shot, an animal wouldn't have time to recover it's accurate hearing from the sonic boom of the bullet going past. When one goes by, even at 200 yards, a .30-06 bullet sounds almost as loud as a .22lr fired 10 yards away. I've been in the 200 yard pull-target pit during a match and just 3 yards away, the loudness is amazing . I can imagine what it must sound like to the very sensitive ears of a deer at less than two feet.

Quicker is better; taking more than 3-4 seconds to jack in another shell can give your position away. The animal can recover it's wits and look around for movement.

Picher

hey reyn,

those were my thoughts pretty much. i figured something has been adjusted (in my case at the factory) in order to correct a problem. i really haven't had any of the cycle problems though with rounds jumping out too early etc. Next time i am at the range though, i will try to work the bolt a bit slower once or twice. However, the fact that these rifles are push feed actions the should be closed on the slow side of fast, but deliberate none the less. i think it was stated earlier in a post, "smartly" excellent word choice.

Well i have a friend who has an older Savage 110 in 7mm mag. We compared them and his definately doesnt do what mine is doing. I dont know whats wrong or why i cant get mine to work. Ive bent the lips down but now its hard as heck to load. His cycles perfect every time.

my savage 100 wont feed either. if i cycle the bolt slowly the round falls out and if i do it fast the round slips under the bolt and stays in the mag. if i pull the thrid case out of the chamber too quickly the fourth hops out of the magazine onto the ground which cost me a white tail buck this year. im thinking quite seriously that its time to trade to a different rifle because ive never seen any other .270 with the same problems.

Back