Feeding performance of short action Winchester CRF Model 70

Grouser1865

Inactive
I am looking to buy a post 1992 Model 70 and from my experiences with pre-64’s I can only claim knowledge of long action feeding behavior. No complaints of course. But now, because I am looking to buy a short action CRF, I am looking to hear input from owners within this community about feeding out of the box with the newer short actin models. I am considering the 243 so specific input from those folks who have a CRF model 70 in 243 would be great. I will have a couple follow up questions so I really need to find guys who actually own one.
How do the rounds feed out of the box- smoothly or erratic and clumsy…?
Specifically, how do rounds feed from the more problematic left side of the magazine?
Has the tip of the bullet entered the chamber before the rim pops out of the magazine?
Previously owned (and sold) push feeds were smooth as silk and from my High Power days I can recall plenty of shooters in addition to myself who used PF Model 70’s in 243 (including million-time HP champion Carl Bernosky) and there was no faster or smoother action so if there’s any clumsiness to the result of Winchester trying to extend the CRF design to short actions, I am fine just picking up my old friend the 243 PF model 70.
Thanks everyone,
Ed

I don't think there have been many complaints about .308 based cartridges in the M70 CRF actions. I don't currently own but one short action and it's a PF in .223 Rem and it feeds very well. I think there were some growing pains with the WSM line of cartridges early on, but they've been sorted out as well.

Last edited:
Not a 243, but I've had 308, 300 WSM, and 30-06 in those rifles. All fed perfectly.

You have the "Classics" made in New Haven from 1992-2006. And then the FN made rifles made in South Carolina starting in 2008 for several years. Current production are made by FN in Portugal. I'm not sure exactly when the change was made to Portugal.

All of them are good. The 1992-2006 Classics retain the old style trigger. I prefer that trigger because it is simple, rugged, and reliable. The new FN made guns use a more modern, easily adjustable trigger. The new trigger is smoother and lighter out of the box, but the old style could be pretty good with some work by a gunsmith. Not really user adjustable. And while I have a preference for the old trigger, I've had no issues with the new one.

The Classics made from 1992-2000ish are generally very good, I prefer them to Pre-64's. Starting around 2000 quality did begin to decline until they closed the New Haven factory in 2006. Most of the 2000-2006 guns are fine, but you are more likely to run across issues with those. And the closer to a 2006 date of manufacture the more likely you are to have problems. The ones with 6 digit serial numbers are pre 2000 and are a pretty safe bet.

There were some issues with the WSM's, but I think that had more to do with the fact that the WSM's were introduced in 2000. I think it was more declining quality overall than the cartridge. It was the WSSM's that would not feed through the CRF actions. Winchester made a modified action they called Controlled Round Push Feed for them.

All of the newer guns have the front of the extractor tapered so it will snap over the rim of a cartridge. Meaning you can load directly into the chamber or top off with a full magazine. The older guns had to feed from the magazine into the chamber.

I doubt you will have any problems with the 243...I know you won't if you go with a 270 Winchester; nothing feeds smoother unless it's one of the H&H calibers...

I have a 270 WSM CRF model 70--no issues feeding. Mine was probably an early "transition" phase to the Portugal FN factory, the bore had notable tooling damage and I wasn't very happy about that after paying a premium price for what I regard as one of the finest rifle designs of all time.

Last edited:
I have a FN built stealth model in 308 and I've never had an issue in 10 years. Been my go to rifle, a year or two ago it was modified for AICS mags. The only time I remember ever running into an issue of any kind was during a night shoot a 7mm mauser round somehow was put in my box of 308 and got a little stuck trying to chamber it.

I have a FN built stealth model in 308 and I've never had an issue in 10 years.
I don't believe the complete manufacture, management and assembly by FN exclusively in Portugal goes back that far, but I could be wrong.

OP,

I have an FN built 300 WSM chambered CRF Win70. Not one single fault with it. I am unaware of the left side of the box being problematic. Any chance this is an issue specific to your rifle??

The rounds snap up into the claw before they get even onto the feed ramp. Action is smooth as glass. It is so nice. Not clumsy, not erratic with feeding.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions. I’ll tell you whatever I know and you want me to share.

All of the newer guns have the front of the extractor tapered so it will snap over the rim of a cartridge. Meaning you can load directly into the chamber or top off with a full magazine. The older guns had to feed from the magazine into the chamber.
Actually, now that you mention it, my model 70 in 270 wsm does sometimes have issues with single hand-feed cartridges in getting the extractor to snap over the rim as you describe (I've only had it for a couple of years). Sometimes it takes closing the bolt with some extra force to get it to close when single hand-feeding.

I've noticed the same thing with my 270. That might not be good for your extractor if you continue to do that. My rifle is a 5+1 capacity rig. It won't hold six in the magazine, but that sixth round can be held down low enough into it that the bolt can take it from my fingers with the rim under the extractor, as it should be.

I had the same problem mentioned above. Needed a little extra force, so i just got in the habit of putting the single round into the magazine and didn't think about it.

As to the manufacture, my receiver IIRC is marked Browning, and the barrel is marked new haven. I don't have it where I'm currently residing but I think it was made before everything was moved to portugal.

That might not be good for your extractor if you continue to do that.
Agreed (though it would take a lot to really break from the looks of it) and I routinely load from the magazine.
I had the same problem mentioned above. Needed a little extra force, so i just got in the habit of putting the single round into the magazine and didn't think about it.
Exactly, I think it's an "angle of presentation" thing to the rim. As great as the model 70 is--the ruger 77 is just a bit more refined, it doesn't have that feed issue--plus its' 3 position safety allows for full manipulation of the cartridge without having the safety off.

The only feeding problems I have ever had with my several M70 Winchesters has been with a 30/06 CRF I bought new a few years ago. The feed lips just were not right. I took them out and bent them a bit with a wrench. Problem solved. I have had no problems with 270 WSM, 7mmWSM, and super short 243WSSM rifles. My pre64 243 feeds like greased glass. All are CRF rifles.

Back