Feed Ramp: How polished is polished enough?

boing

I'm looking at buying my first handgun, a used Glock 19, 2nd generation, from my new favorite gun shop. I've only handled it long enough to compare it to other models, but I noticed that the feed ramp is scuffed.

I don't know whether it's really damaged, or if it's just superficially marked. When I get some down payment money together I'm going to examine the gun more thoroughly, and try to get the dealer to polish the ramp for me.

Just how shiny does it need to be? Like a mirror? Is it OK if it still has some marks on it after the guy polishes it, as long as it's not actually dented/scraped? How do I tell? What does a "typical" feed ramp look like after x-number of rounds?

-boing, infected newbie, "I've got Glockitis!"

My instructor taught us that it wasn't how shiny a ramp was, but how smooth. Mirror bright ramps can still have jams. Just be sure that the ramp is smooth.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Boing, I'm not saying it hasn't happened but I don't think I've ever heard of anyone experiencing feeding problems with a Glock due to a rough feed ramp. But, as long as it isn't causing malfunctions it's fine. If it were me, instead of having the dealer polish the ramp get him to agree to do so if there is a problem. If the guy just sells guns and isn't a smith he may do more harm than good. George

Thanks a lot, Gary and George, that's just what I wanted to hear. That gun is wispering sweet nothings in my ear, and I'd hate to reject it. :D

-boing

Back