Federal Ordinance M-14A questions.

Grayfox

I while back I mentioned that I was interested in a military style semi-auto rifle. My first choice was the Springfield M1A, but unfortunately that was out of my price range. I'd decided to settle for a Bushmaster AR. My reason for getting a military semi-auto was simply that I've always wanted something like that and the way things are going, someday soon, I may not be allowed to buy one. In short, it would just be an expensive toy.
So, I went to a gunshow today with every intent to buy an AR, then fate stepped in. I ran across a guy with a Federal Ordinance M-14A for sale. The gun looks to be almost unfired and I'd rate it at 95%. The price was $800. Fifty bucks cheaper than the bushmasters there. So, I bought it.
Ok, Tell me about this rifle, warts and all.
I know its not a Springfield. Trigger could use a little work, but it seems to be well made.
Did I do good or really screw up?

BTW: can anybody steer me to a good source for twenty round mags?

[This message has been edited by Grayfox (edited March 11, 2000).]

Sent the links for Cole Dist(mag & etc) and Fulton Armory to your e-mail address. Sounds like you should have the rifle checked by a GOOD smith before much use.

I had a Federal Ordnance which I ended up scrapping and having Fulton Armory build up a Springfield Armory receiver with what parts that could be salvaged from the Fed Ord.

Greyfox, Do Not shoot that rifle until you have had it checked by a smith who works on M14/M1-A's on a regular basis. Fed Ord did make a few some receivers that were to spec.
I hope that you were lucky and got one of those.
Good luck with it.
Hank

I worked on a Fed Ord M14 and found that the web (or bridge) of the receiver was not mil-spec (OK old time TFLers, here he goes again on his rant mode).

As you know, the Fed Ord receiver is casted which, in itself isn't bad. However, the web/bridge plays a critical role is disengaging the tail of the firing pin so as to prevent accidental discharges should the hammer prematurely fall. The problem with the Fed Ord (and some Springfields I've seen) is that that particular area was crudely casted and not cleaned up. While the gun still functions, the wear on the firing pin is accelerated with the end result possibly being the firing pin tail breaking off. This may lead to a slam fire as the firing pin tail.

The best remedy is to have the receiver cleaned up. If that isn't feasible (no skilled machinest who can do it), then regular inspection of the firing pin is in order. At the first sign of wear on the tail, replace the pin.

Another problem I had was with the uneven gas cylinder. When I initially tried to unitize it, the front band sat at a canted angle. The gas cylinder had to be chucked in a lathe and faced before it could be done.

Finally, you may want to have the rear sight mounting holes checked. Fed Ord's jig wasn't the best and some were slightly off centered. While this won't affect any close range shooting, when you start adjusting for longer distances, it'll be off.

Well, it seems my luck is up to its usual standards.
Ok, I screwed up and I admit it.
After very careful disassembly and study of this rifle, I belive it is safe to shoot. I base this on examination of parts fit, contact surfaces and other critical parts. Believe me, I spent most of one entire day scrutinizing evey little bit of this rifle.
So I will give it a try for now.
However the plan is to shoot it just enough to get an idea of the barrels quality and general accuracy and no more.
BTW: I found what appear to be military part numbers on the barrel, operating rod, trigger group and bolt. The barrel is also marked H&R (Harrington and Richardson?). This leads me to belive that this one was built with Fed. Ords reciever and USGI surlpus parts. So there is hope.
After that the rifle will sit until I've saved enough money when it will be shipped to Fulton Armory to be rebuilt on a Springfield reciever. With a little luck I'll still end up with a good rifle at several hundred dollars less than the cost of a new Springfield. It will just take some time.
On the bright side, now that I have a base gun to work with, I can take my time, customize it as I please, but not have to shell out all those big bucks at one lick.

Live and learn, but damn these lessons are gettin' expensive! ;)

------------------
Politically, Fashionably and Aerodynamically Incorrect!

Grayfox,

You can do your own inspection with regards to the bridge/web. Using an M1 Garand recevier, compare it to your Fed Ord. What you want to do is field strip the rifle. Starting with the Garand receiver/barrel first, place the barrel on the table and elevate the receiver such that you get a clear view of it from the bottom. Examine the metal "bridge" which spans both sides of the receiver. If you install your bolt, move it in and out of lock position. You'll see how the bridge disengages the firing pin tail.

Now, do the same with the Fed Ord receiver. If it's not casted properly, the firing pin tail will drag over the rough portions of the bridge. If it does, then that's the problem I've warned about. If not, then you may have a perfectly good receiver (with other things to be inspected of course).

Please post your results. Love to hear more about it.

Gary,
Thanks for the tip. I checked it out and the firing pin tail doesn't drag and isn't free to move forward until the locking lugs engage. I see how this works and all seems fine. No signs of excess wear on either part.

Seems like I may have lucked out and gotten a good one. I can't wait to shoot this thing. Unfortunately, bad weather has moved in and the forcast is damp, chilly and generally rotten for the next 3 or 4 days.

If nothing else this rifle has been an education. I'll keep you posted once I have a chance to shoot it.

The saga continues!

------------------

Grayfox, Have you checked the amount of engagement the recoil lugs on the bolt have within the receiver? Just another point to ponder but an important one. If this is good and your sights work properly you may have a keeper as is!
Hank

Sure thing Hank, that was one of the first things I checked. First a visual inspection, checked for side and end play, then wiped grease on the lugs to check actual contact. Both lugs wiped the grease off clean. Then with just the empty reciever and the bolt, I inserted several different types of ammo and some resized empty brass. In each case the bolt went into full lock with just a touch of finger pressure and slight resistance. Felt good to me.

I tell ya, when I first discovered what I had the whole idea of firing this rifle spooked me. But after almost a week of testing and research, I can't wait to get to the range. As hard as I try, no matter what else I can think off to check, this rifle just keeps coming up ok.
The real test will come on the firing line. As soon as this crappy weather breaks, I'm headed for the range.

BTW: I really appreciate the fact that nobody has yet hollared "DUMBASS" at me. There aren't many boards that accept a dumb mistake like this or work so hard in helping me resolve it. It a true tribute to the quality of the folks here on TFL.
Thank you all. I LOVE THIS PLACE!

I'll keep you posted.

------------------

I finally got to the range today. Useing British surplus 147gr ball ammo the rifle fired and functioned perfectly, for about 25 rounds. At which point the extractor popped out of the bolt. I found it and put the bolt back together. I thought maybe I didn't get it seated properly when I had the bolt apart, so I fired some more. No such luck. The extractor jumped out again 5 rounds later, never to be found.
I suppose as far as malfunctions go, this is pretty minor although a pain in the butt.
Otherwise, everything was just fine. Accuracy wasn't anything to brag about, but was combat acceptable. Of course, I was just begining to get a feel for the rifle when it quit. Maybe it'll be better next time.
Oh well, parts are ordered and I'll try again after I get it fixed.
More to come.

------------------

Grayfox, Sounds like you may have come up with a winner here. I would never call you a DA because I once bought a FA NM reciever and sent it off to Fulton to have a peerless made up. I got a pretty quick call from Clint Mckee telling me that I was a DA! He went on and built my pearless on a SA receiver which he charged me for. Not a bad price as I recall either. What Clint did that really impressed me was he hounded the folks a FA until he got my receiver replaced with one that was in spec. That is way above and beyond the call of duty.

As to your extractor unassing: Extractor plunger spring, extractor plunger or the detent in the now lost extractor. New U.S. GI parts should take care of this problem.
Get one of those books and get the rough spots off of that trigger and have a ball!
Hank

Thanks Hank,
All three parts are on order from Springfield. Accually I was starting to have a real good time when she balked on me.
I do plan to work on the trigger some and have a feeling that that a little work at the reloading bench will do wonders for the accuracy. While the group wasn't real great, all the shots were pretty much clustered together with no strays.
Once I get the bugs out, I think it'll be just fine.

Back