Federal lost its mind: 3 9mm HST types now-2 new

If you think that's bad, look at Winchester. How many rebrandings of the Black Talon bullet design are on the market at this point? Winchester SXT, Ranger, Ranger T, Ranger T Bonded, PDX1, PDX1 Defender, Train & Defend, etc.

Hornady also has a bunch of variations of their ammo too. Critical Defense, Critical Duty, Zombie Max, XTP, XTP Custom, American Gunner XTP, etc.

Ammo companies in general tend to rebrand their bullets like crazy, sometimes with minor cosmetic design variations or cost-saving measures like jacketing/case material, other times with nothing more than a different design on the box.

Last edited:
My guess would be that they failed quality control somewhere and they did not want the liability of having bad rounds on their premium defense line. A few duds here and there on target ammo are generally acceptable. I would expect a bigger discount than that though.

If you think that's bad, look at Winchester. How many rebrandings of the Black Talon bullet design are on the market at this point? Winchester SXT, Ranger, Ranger T, Ranger T Bonded, PDX1, PDX1 Defender, Train & Defend, etc.

Hornady also has a bunch of variations of their ammo too. Critical Defense, Critical Duty, Zombie Max, XTP, XTP Custom, American Gunner XTP, etc.

Ammo companies in general tend to rebrand their bullets like crazy, sometimes with minor cosmetic design variations or cost-saving measures like jacketing/case material, other times with nothing more than a different design on the box.
The Hornady ammo uses different bullets tho. Critical Duty is completely different from Critical Defense, XTP is an XTP bullet, the Zombie ammo is Critical Defense with a green tip instead of a red tip, and the American Gunner stuff is their value/budget hollow point ammo and I've seen a lot of failures with that ammo in gel leading me to think those use bullets rejected for use in the other brands.

Hornady Custom appears good and warmer than standard Hornady loads. Also see Custom less frequently...limited runs?

However, I agree Hornady "American Gunner" performs worse with no obvious reason, so likely they are rejects or just made inferior.

Agreed.

Just got a new case of Speer Lawman today. Lawman is the FMJ that is suppose to mimic Gold Dot.

New box graphics too.

Wonder if Speer/Federal is going to change Gold Dot packages too.

Just got a new case of Speer Lawman today. Lawman is the FMJ that is suppose to mimic Gold Dot.

New box graphics too.

Wonder if Speer/Federal is going to change Gold Dot packages too.

In the images I’ve seen online from some vendors I believe they have changed that packaging too.

From Speer’s website, this is different than what I have (I might just have old boxes though). https://www.speer.com/ammunition/gold_dot/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, it's double that and more, now. And who knows if we will ever see "normal" again... this fall could make the fall of 2008 look like an ordinary Saturday morning at any popular LGS before people lost their minds.

I have no earthly idea why Midway's pricing that "training HST" at the same price or even a bit higher than normal 147 HST in the LE box, though. I can buy that all day long, right now, for about two dollars less a box, delivered, from two other suppliers.

Back