Federal Flight Control 00 vs #1 buck

cmdc

Went out yesterday with a buddy to pattern shotguns with these two varieties of ammo. His gun a Rem 870, mine a Benelli M4.

Both guns, at 15 yds, shot the 00 to point of aim, but shot the #1 a foot high.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why?

Thanks

Is there a big, and I mean big, velocity and/or payload difference between the rounds? I have never seen anything like this with a shotgun at 15 yards. I don't even think I have seen that big a difference in a handgun with vastly different loads.

That's interesting. Most buckshot loads shoot very close to the same point of aim in my shotgun. I haven't tried Federal Flite Control but Hornady Critical Defense, which has a wad similar to the FFC, shoots to the same point of aim as the standard Federal and the 12 pellet S&B. All the loads shoot a bit high in my 870 with a bead site but the Hornady and S&B shoot much better patterns than the standard Federal in my gun.

MY experiences with 2.75" 1 buck vs.3" 00 FC buck...........they both pattern about the same @ 15yds out of a 20" Mossberg 500 Persuader pump...HOWEVER, @ 7 to 10 yds., the 00 FC buck punches a single hole and don't open up for squat.

bottom line, I won't pay the extra for the FC buckshot to used for self defense, I prefer a nice hand sized pattern at 10 yds.

I would post pics of my pattern tests, but something won't let me.

I've seen nothing like that in 20 ga or 12 ga with 00 buck, #1 buck, #4 buck, TT shot, and BB shot (let alone smaller bird shot sizes).

I'd say there's some operator error, or faulty interpretation of the patterns, in the equation.

00 shot is .34 calibre at roughly 1145 fps. #1(AKA SSG) is .30 with an MV of around 1225 fps. Both Federal ammo. However, recoil will do that too.

OP here, a somewhat embarrassed one, I might add. FrankenMauser, I think you are partially correct, in that it was not operator ERROR, but operator STUPIDITY on our part.

I re-examined the target, which was a 3'x4' 100yd crossbow paper target.

The #1 buck payload was right on target, but made such a small hole(1.5") in the paper, that it got mixed in with holes from the 00 buck. What was hitting a foot high was the shot cup.

I also tend to agree with nightwolf re: a little bigger pattern at close range. Actually, the #1 doesn't pattern at all at close range.

Thanks for all of your input, and feel free to laugh at our misinterpretation.

Thanks for the update, cmdc.
No laughing here. Well, not right now. ;)

And I wouldn't call it stupidity. We all make mistakes.
I've made plenty of similarly incorrect observations in the past.

As for the patterning...
I've only tested #1 buck twice - once for 12 ga and once for 20 ga.
In both instances, I found 00 and #4 to be better options for me (due largely to better availability with minimal difference on target).

Federal Flite Control 00 Buck vs Federal Flite Control #1 Buck - 2 3/4" rounds.

Any thoughts as to which is the more devastating round say at 20-30 yards when shot from a 12ga?

The 00 with flight control should be the more devastating, since it should concentrate the pellets in a smaller area. This assumes that the center of your pattern is on target. Of course, if centered off target the larger pattern may score a few hits than the concentrated flight control.

Actually, the #1 buck holds the tighter pattern in the Federal Flight Control offering, vs 00. The #1 is considered by some folks 'in the know' to be the better SD loading.

The day we were shooting at 15 yds, we were comparing #1 to 00, both Federal Flight Control. The #1 printed a 1.5" hole, the 00 was a palm-sized pattern. The #1 supposedly out-penetrates 00 in bare gelatin, with the #1 penetrating up to 18".

A little late to the party but, for those interested, I tested some 12 Gauge, 2.75 inch, nine 00 Buckshot, Federal flitecontrol rounds at 25 yards recently. It was from my Mossberg 930 SPX with an 18.5 inch barrel and cylinder bore choke at a 16 x 25 inch splatterburst human silhouette target. I could generally expect all 9 of the pellets to land in the 8 point ring or better. Pretty good grouping :)

I've noted that certain muzzle brakes on a shotgun...will eat the rear tailfins of Federal's FliteControl wads.

Back