Federal Deer Thugs Ammo

reynolds357

Is this stuff the same thing as Fusion? Same price, looks like same bullet, same trajectories. Before you ask "why not just buy fusion?" I cant find it without ordering it from someone online and paying freight, but Wal Mart has the shelves busting at the seams with "Deer thugs" sitting in the same spots where "Fusion" used to set.

its the same identical ammunition. all that changed was the package.

walmart sponsors the "deer thugz" ""hunting"" show. as a result they now sell ammunition that has the show logo on it. just like they sell the atr with deer thugz logo.

Huh. I came over to this thread to be amused by the misspelling of "deer slugs" as "deer thugs". Evidently it's not an error.

I looked at it real close and the velocities and trajectories are a little different than fusion. Thee bullets may be fusion, but the powder charges are different.

Deer Thugs Ballistics

I contacted Federal to get the ballistics data for their Deer Thugs ammo for my .308. Here is what they sent for the 165 grain bullets. Muzzle velocity is 2659 fps and muzzle energy is 2575. At 100 yards it's 2450 & 2205 and at 200 yards it's 2270 & 1880. THIS IS NOT EQUAL to their Fusion rounds according to their own website. The Thug rounds are not as hot as Fusion rounds of the same caliber and bullet weight.

In .243 Win, they are a little hotter than Fusion. I have come to the conclusion they are most likely loaded with the new Deep Curl bullet from Speer.

Federal Deer Thug Bullets

Well, I am new to the post, very fun to read and I am looking forward to helping but more, learning from you all as well. I am responding the the Deer Thug talk.

I wrote Federal several times. I finally got an answer. I had asked about the Fusion compared to the Thug. I asked about using this bonded bullet for Elk as well, since the grain of bullets were heavy enough for it. I asked about bullet separation and such, Fusion having that reputation. I have see the damage that Fusion bullet produces, wow, explodes and massive damage. Well here is the most I could get out of them. Now, I will say I tried it in my .300 WSM and my .30 WM and the accuracy was very impressive. SUB MOA out to 300 yards. I was quit surprised. I was shooting Tikka T3's and Zeiss Conquest glass. Never the less, it shot well. Here is Federals note to me.

Good afternoon David,

The Deer Thug is a special line we have this year. It is a Wal Mart exclusive and it is a bonded bullet with a flat base heel to it. That's what makes it different from the Fusion bullet. It is very accurate and would hold together and not explode. It would make a great Elk bullet.

Thanks
Federal Ammunition

it is a bonded bullet with a flat base heel to it

Sounds like a Speer Deepcurl to me since the Deepcurl is essentially the same as the Fusion bullet but with a flat base. So the Fusion should be a little more accurate at longer range, but under 300 yards or so you probably wont notice a whole lot of difference other than what the different powder charges cause. So would one be better than the other? Depends on what you're doing.

On the other hand, if it's been manufactured especially for Wal-Mart, you may wanna stay away from it ;)

It is the "Power Shok" line of ammo that used to come in the blue box. it has just been re-branded with a fancy name.

You guys need to get out more. Having a cute name for your ammo seems to be the latest marketing gimmick.

"Deer Thugs", "Hog Hammers", etc.

I'm going to start naming some of my loads "Paper Pummelers" and "Steel Stompers".

You guys need to get out more. Having a cute name for your ammo seems to be the latest marketing gimmick.

"Deer Thugs", "Hog Hammers", etc.

I'm going to start naming some of my loads "Paper Pummelers" and "Steel Stompers".
I guess since I buy so little commercial ammo, I've been leading a sheltered life.

JMR,
It may say Power Shok on the box, but I think that just means it is Federal's economy line of ammunition. It also says "Bonded Soft Point" on the box, and the original Federal Blue Box Power Shok ammo had standard cup and core bullets. I agree with the other posters that believe the new "Deer Thugs" ammo are loaded with Speer's new Deep Curl bullets. Probably why it is so hard to find the Deep Curls for reloading. Walmart is buying 90% of Speer's production. I guess ATK is trying to outdo Hornady in the awful marketing effort. (Zombie Max vs. Deer Thugs? I don't think anybody wins, unless it would be anti-gunners...)

Back