Federal BallisticClean

RHC

I tried a box of this at the range yesterday, in 9mm.

It seemed pretty accurate, though I'm not really a good enough shot to go on about ammo accuracy. The box lists muzzle velocity as 1230 fps, and it did seem to have some pop. The 9mm cartridges were described as "100 grain jacketed CQT," whatever CQT stands for.

It has a soft zinc tip, which seems to be created by some sort of winding process. The zinc gets on your hands, but it was indeed very clean in the gun. I would say it's purely target ammo - I brought a few rounds home and fired them into milk jugs, and the zinc tips just disintegrated into strips.

Anyone else have any experience with this ammo? I like the idea of non-lead and non-toxic primers for target practice.

Fed Ballisticlean

RHC:
Tried some and had the same experiences you had; being 100 grn, wondered if it would provide a different POA; have you noticed anything different accuracy wise?

I bought a 1000 rounds of it from Kiesler's for $90 and have put 100 rounds through my BHP. It ran through the gun without a problem and seemed pretty accurate. Any problems with point of aim were hard to tell from the distance I was shooting from. The only caution I've seen on it was high temp storage may affect it more than other types.

They still had plenty of it when I stopped by there last week. Great price for practice, and I sure need it!

Mark

As far as POA, it seems to hit a little higher than the other practice ammo I use. I shoot in a pistol league where we shoot slow fire at 15, 20, and 25 yards and rapid fire at 5 and 10, and it seems consistently a couple of inches higher at shorter distances and more at longer. But that could just be due to different levels of recoil or speed out of the barrel.

By the way, I used it at the GSSF in Carrolton, Texas. When I showed the barrel to the armorer after shooting he found it hard to believe I had actually shot all my stages.

I shot some of the .45 ACP Ballisticlean at 50 yards through a Les Baer pistol and it was amazingly accurate. It's too bad the price is around $22 a box.

Ballisticlean

Keisler's Police supply in IN had it for $4.99/50 in 9mm a month ago; not sure if they carried any other calibers.

Back