Federal Arms HK91 Clone

Having neither seen or examined one, I can only pass on hearsay information.

If it's that casted aluminum clone, I've seen postings in another website warning to stay away from them. One individual warned that the method of securing the barrel was at best, dubious. Another complained that it was ungainy and questioned the integrity of the receiver.

You should go to the ar15.com discussion forum under the "Build It Yourself "-  Builders Beware by Alex and under "General Discussion"-HK 91 by brass shower. There has been some very interesting discussions about this particular aluminum reciever kit. Just type http://www.ar15.com to go there. Has anyone else out there had any experience with this kit?

I saw one at a dealer Saturday. It was quite crude. The integral weaver rail is a nice touch. The dealer wanted $999 for it. He had three on his rack. I wouldn't give $999 for all three.

Rosco

Thanks Rosco & fal308. So, there we have it, buy only from the Fatherland (or Portugal or any other licensed producer of H&K products).

sold my G-3 parts kit to a friend who had a federal rec. on order once it finally came in(2mths), took no time to assemble once you looked over very carefully all parts involved .a wooden buttstock,pistol & foregrip were used (can't find name of mfg. still looking for recipt,however made in USA.)he is getting ready to refinish in one of brownells coatings, and to be honest it doesn't look bad at all.still haven't test fired yet! i have also seen some of those rifle kit guns at shows and it seems like they just slapped whatever they had laying around into a rifle.no time taken to make a uniform looking product.$599.@ shows only time will tell if it's a seller.just remember you should of brought an FN!!!

Went by a gunstore today and saw examined a Fed Arms HK91 clone. The aluminum on the receiver is quite thick. While the tolerances in the front wasn't very good and the forearm had quite a bit of clockwise and counterclockwise play, the trigger group and stock seemed very snug. The only real thing I liked about the receiver is the built on scope rail on the top. One sorry aspect of this rifle was the magazine which was included. It was so dented that I doubt if you could get more than three rounds in it before the spring binds.

If I were hard pressed for a semiautomatic rifle, I'd rather put an AR together from a parts kit.

Saw and held an HK91 at the gun show this weekend - pre-ban. Fellow wanted $2,200. Not only was the price impressive, but so was the weight. Was it me, or are these rifles pretty heavy? Seemed like a good AR would be a much more versatile and practical weapon.

What are the factors that make the HK91 such a desirable rifle to so many?

Jeff, as an owner of a H&K91 and a Bushmaster AR15...I love both of them. The HK? Reliability, accuracy, sheer toughness, and caliber. What is cover against a .223 is only concealment against a .308 ;)

The HK91 is not a light rifle and its balance is attributable to its massive wolfram filled bolt carrier which tends to make it top heavy. If you ever get your hands on a bolt carrier, shake it next to your ear and you'll hear the grains as they shake up and down. It's put in there to help decelerate the bolt carrier's travel.

They're not really much different from the FN-FAL or M14 in weight, but their bulky triangular forearm and the balance makes them feel heavier than either of the other arms. If you get a chance, try one with the slimmer forearm and I'm sure you'll agree that it feels much better (the triangular jungle forearm is suppose to be better for rapid cooling).

Why were they popular? German engineering, reliable and accurate. They weren't that expensive in the old days ($350-$400 around 1978-80) and were the cats' meow when it came to black rifles. They were also easier to convert to sharpshooting rifles (Blake Stevens in his monumental work on the FN-FAL reports that FN gave up on trying to make a sniper version of FN) and will hold together longer than the M21 (M14 version of the sniper rifle).

Like Spartacus says, I love both of them but if I had to buy only one, it'd be the AR (see posting on Steyr Aug for my reasoning behind that).

Saw a photo of Hesse Arms receiver and it looked like the same stamped out thing made by H&K. Judgment reserved until the actual product is examined.

Back