Fed personal defense .45

Status
Not open for further replies.

zentao

In our local store Fed Personal defense .45 HP 165 gr is available. Any good? How it compares with Fed Hydra Shock 230?

Thank you in advance

Zentao

Zentao, to the best of my knowledge there's no egregious 45 ammo out there. The 45 starts out at a diameter the 9mm357 cal stuff hopes to end up.

My advice is to try some out. If it feeds reliably and groups well, it should work.

Hello. This is probably not meaningful, but last year, while hunting javelina in far south Texas, I witnessed a friend popping a couple of javelina with the Federal 165 gr Personal Defense load. I was underwhelmed to say the least as neither "stopped" after being rolled. We never found them either so I cannot say where he hit them. It's very possible that was the trouble (poor hits), but again, all I can say is what I saw. The guy is a good shot. Best.

I shot about 200 rds of the 165gr Fed PD out of my Glock 30 a couple of weeks back along with some 230gr Fed HS.

My observations are the 165gr has less recoil but is not as accurate as the 230gr ammo (groups at least twice as large). So I decided not to use it for carry. My 1911's and my HK USP do not like this ammo as far as accuracy either.

I believe the reason that this ammo is not as accurate is due to the bullets shorter OAL and having less contact with the barrel. This results in a less stabalized bullet.
FWIW,
Hiker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back