Fed NICS site down?

Armybrat

I saw this post on another forum:

Anyone have problems making gun purchases this weekend?

I had a rifle shipped to my FFL, went to pick it up Saturday morning, filled out my paperwork and then they came back and said the Fed background check system went down and couldn't process me until it came back up.

They said it was scheduled to be down Sunday for regular maintenance but it went down on Friday for awhile and then again Saturday. Ran into a buddy Saturday afternoon and said he was in the process of buying a pistol when it went down.

Not sure but I stopped at my FFL transfer guy's place to pick up a semi-auto pistol frame that I ordered back on the 16th and ran into the same problem, system was down.
He called in a couple hours to let me know that it was back up and I was all set.
I'm guessing an overwhelming volume kind of thing, who knows.

Easy back door gun control.

Am I being too cynical?

I was at Cabela's Saturday late afternoon as saw that they had signs on all of their terminals saying no gun sales would be taking place because NICS was down. They said they had been down for most of the day and also most of Friday and had no idea when they would be back up. They said they get NO communication from the feds as to when/why the go down and when they will be back up. I was told this was a nation wide outage. This same thing happened about a month ago and was down for over 3 days.

I really doubt this is "routine maintenance". That type of thing happens when the systems are not being used or when it would cause minimal disruption. Like 1 AM on a Sunday.

Back