Fed 168 gr HP on deer

PSE

i usually shoot the hornady 165 gr interlock exclusivly in my 308's, but, my steyr is shooting the classic match stuff SOOOOOOOO well i though i'd switch to it a hunting load. anyone have history w/ this load on game?
i'm talking abouth the GM308M sierra BTHP gold match.

PSE-
I'm not certain I understand the question. However, my experience with .308-168gr Sierra Game Kings on hog would indicate that, with lighter hides (such as deer), they'll do real well.
Rich

what i am refering to is the federal match ammo. the 168 gr hollow point boat tail. fed# GM308M

there are some people on here or the high road (or both) that have used match ammo for hunting with good success. most people in the gun community will advise against using match bullets for hunting because they bullets are not designed to expand reliably. however, shot placement is the most important thing, so if your rifle shoots well with it, use it.

Personally, I would not use a match bullet on deer. Those bullets were designed to do one thing; punch paper, not animals. While there have been those who have successfully used them on game, a bullet that is designed for hunting would serve you much better.

Accuracy is a wonderful thing, but on game performance is critical. In other words, a bullet that is designed to expand properly on deer sized game and is a 2 moa load will be more effective than a sub moa load that may or may not expand well or that may not penetrate well.

There are several deer bullets that are extremely accurate. Nosler Ballistic Tips and Sierra GameKings both come to mind.Federal offers 150 gr. Ballistic Tip and 165 gr. Gameking loads.Winchester offers 150 gr. and 168 gr. Ballistic Tip loads. I'd be willing to bet that one of those would be almost as accurate as the MatchKing bullet, but they're all designed to perform on deer size game.

We owe it to ourselves, and most importantly, to the game we pursue, to do all we can to insure a quick, clean kill.

What Ruger #1 said.
Sierra Game Kings are as close a match to Sierra Match Kings as one could expect...Game for killing; Match for competition. Of course, both are to be tested for acceptable accuracy in your rifle. If one works well, I can pretty much guarantee equivalent field accuracy from the other.
Rich

Dont Do It!

Game Kings are actually sometimes used in matches and work (won the Wimbeldon 1000 yard match once!). The MatchKing is NOT the load for game taking. Go to sierrabullets.com for details.

i regularly use the Hornady #8098 load. 165 gr interlock at 2700fps advertised velocity. the GM308M is 168 gr at 2700 fps. w/ my steyr tactical and leupold 4.5X14 i need 3 clicks left and 4 clicks down to rezero from the fed to the hornady.

I've used the Federal 168 Gr. Match for years and have never been disappointed in it's performance. The bullet retains a high percentage of it's weight. Doesn't blow to pieces if it hits bone on entry. Accuracy is extremely consistent. What more can you want?
Mostly I'm using a Browning BLR. Most of my shots are in open hardwoods (30-100 yds.), but I gave a coyote an awful surprise, just this past weekend, at 229 yds. Tried a number of bullet types/weights/loads and always come back to this.

Back