Fawns are on the ground. Shoot coyotes

603Country

I've been mowing pasture here on our place in central Texas for the last couple of days and I have almost mowed newborn fawns 3 times. They are sure hard to spot down in the grass where their Momma told them to stay. So load up your rifles, wherever you are, and go hunt coyotes.

One of the fawns wobbled over to the pond and waded out into the reeds and sank down till all that was showing was ears, eyes, and nose. Smart. Cute.

So shoot a coyote for Bambi...

Is it true that fawns have no scent?

I know this might be a thread hi-jack,,,
But I have often heard this from old-timers.

I would love to know if it's true or just an old wives tale.

Aarond

They have very little scent early in their lives. It's why the mother eats the, uh, recycled food products, from them to keep the scent down.

Such is my understanding, anyway.

Up my way, there's one less for the coyotes...

b84a2914-95af-f060.jpg

Pretty much anything that is alive has a scent. Momma deer does a good job of hiding baby's scent, though. I have seen does eating their fawn's feces in an attempt to leave less available scent or physical evidence for predators to follow :eek:. Man, nature is gross sometimes.

Had a fawn cross my path on the way to work yesterday.Luckily I'm the old fart on the road everybody hates for doing the speed limit,so I had time to slow down and watch it cross.

I remember when I was about 16 and hunting squirrels on the game reserve in Marshall county, Kentucky. Yes, it was legal.

I was walking through the edge of a bean field and almost stepped on a fawn.

The little critter jumped up and took off and just about scared me to death. Almost as bad as stepping too close to a covey of quail when you are NOT looking for them:)

Geetarman:D

I've never heard that they had little or no scent, but it does sound reasonable that they would not have much scent. I get a lot of fawns close to the house since about 8 acres around the main house has hog wire fencing and the deer apparently feel safer inside the fenced area.

Your right the fawns are everywhere here & so are the coyotes.We been shooting yotes sence the season closed 31 so far.

Pretty much anything that is alive has a scent. Momma deer does a good job of hiding baby's scent, though. I have seen does eating their fawn's feces in an attempt to leave less available scent or physical evidence for predators to follow . Man, nature is gross sometimes.

Right. You can talk to all sorts of hunters and find all over the internet that fawns have no scent and it is complete fiction. People will claim that dams will avoid their fawns to keep from getting scent on them. This is also fiction given that dams will groom their newborns and groom them fairly regularly during the early stages of their lives.

The amniotic fluid has an odor. The momma deer's tongue and saliva have odor. What is lacking from many fawns is development of musk glands.

Dams may eat the afterbirth as part of cleaning up, but as noted with numerous species, the afterbirth is rich in nutrients needed by the dam.

I've had a dry run lately and coupled with a heavy schedule, I haven't been motivated to get out. But now we've had lots of rain this spring that's still continuing. I suspect high critter activity now. I have gotten several good solid reports of pigs in the area... It's gonna have to be a good reason to keep me from going out this weekend.

I've no clue as to how wildlife biologists do the measuring, but "they say" that there is certainly less scent from fawns and from cottontail rabbits than from other animals. That's from the guys at Texas Parks & Wildlife, anyhow.

Wiping a fawn's butt with a warm, wet sponge triggers the nursing instinct, if you try to raise one. Baby bottles work well. Mix Carnation canned milk in a 1:3 ratio with water.

So what I gather from this discussion is that my dogs are afraid of coyotes, so they clean my yard... Ewwwww

I am going to pop some yotes this weekend, for sure.

Slightly off topic.

We found a fawn bedded down behind and up against a target stand at the rifle range at our gun club. It stayed there for at least a couple of hours before we discovered it. Then we close the range.

So the fawn stays where mom tells it to. Also, we frequently see deer wander across the rifle range while we are shooting. Aparently they are not shy of gunshots. We have to be very careful.

Critters adapt to noises which occur with regularity. A half-dozen does regularly bedded down some fifty yards past my uncle's 100-yard backstop. Had a coyote trot rather casually across the Fort Bliss firing range when our platoon was training there.

Yep deer on army ranges are quite common. One 50 caliber range in Germany had a rule against engaging deer with the M2....

I enjoyed hitting the tank hulls 2k down range and watching the tracers bounce into the low cloud deck

Kill any coyote you can, no matter the time of year.

Intrusive species just like us humans.

Sent from a highly hacked Android device using Tapatalk 2.

Apparently, the "intrusive" aspect has to do with movement of the species to the east of the Mississippi River, and mostly during the 20th century. Maybeso to the west of the Rockies and then northward, but I'm less sure about that.

Also, we frequently see deer wander across the rifle range while we are shooting. Aparently they are not shy of gunshots. We have to be very careful.

It was a few months ago that we had to call a cease fire at Rio Salado because 7 deer decided to play awhile at the 300 gong on the public range.

They gradually moved north and cleared the range. We were probably shut down for 20 minutes.

The ROs did let us use our spotting scopes to look at them but made everyone clear actions and bench the guns.

Geetarman:D

The coyotes move in after we kill off the less adaptable predators. SO they are intrusive, but only when there's a hole to fill. Say what you will about them, but they do a good job of controlling the rodent population.

I'm not sure what's worse: fewer deer, or more crop eaters.
Either way it's less food for me.

Back