favorite woods gun

favorite

This comes up from time to time, and I generally always jump in. For me, it's changed over the years.

For a period of a couple years I had a Charter Bulldog that shot my heavy bullet reloads exactly to point of aim with its fixed sights, I shot that gun enough that it went out of time. My loads weren't doing it any favors either.
For about a decade after that , I had a Ruger Security Six, .357, which I loaded with mid-range 1000 fps 158 gr LSWC ammo. I replaced that with a Ruger Blackhawk 4-5/8", using the same load, and carried the Blackhawk for another decade.

About the same era, I acquired a S&W .44mag Mtn Gun. I fed that gun mid range 1000 fps, lead SWC, and carried it some. While lighter than a full size M29, it typically just seemed to bulky and cumbersome, I suppose I never found the right holster.

The magnum revolvers got semi-retired when I purchased, almost accidently, a Glock G20. Flat and compact, abuse resistant, easy to carry, no heavier than a mag revolver, with over twice the capacity and comparable power, if I need a "heavy" woods pistol, the G20 now gets the call. I recently started to assemble components to put a dot sight and a 6" tube on the Glock, when I do it will loose some of it's advantages as a GP woods handgun, and I will have to search for another option.

That may well be another 10mm auto, a RIA 1911. Though a bit heavier than I'd like, it carries well, has good aftermarket sights, and a great trigger (well compared to the Glock anyhow).

One issue with a woods pistol is how to securely carry it. The Ruger b-hawk fits nicely in a leather 'Aviators Holster", worn almost as a chest holster. The same aviator rig can carry the Mtn Gun or the 1911/10mm. The old leather GI flap holster still serves for the 1911, just as it has for over a 100 years. As an aside, 4" Ruger standard .22 auto will also fit in the GI flap holster too. I use a Bianchi M12 for the big Glock. One advantage of the Glock is that I can use a lanyard fashioned from paracord and a simple dog snap.

Old military holster

I have not seen one of those old pilots holsters in a long time.
Yeah the military flap holsters still get the job done. I am retired military, and carried a 1911 in a flap holster on a web belt for 20 years, and the Coast Guard was still using the 1911 along side the Berretta when I retired in 1989.
I have four 1911s a commander sized, a full size (both in 45 acp) an original COLT 1911 .38 super I bought in Alaska in 1976 that was built in 1967, and a new ROCK ISLAND MINI 1911 380 I got today.
But as a woods gun, I still like the old thumb buster, Uberti EL PATRON, 45 colt, which is a modern version of the COLT SINGLE ACTION ARMY.
The 45 colt been doing the job since 1873, and still does fine.
My two granddads were lawmen in old Oklahoma during the oil boom of the 1920s, and carried Marlins and Winchester lever guns and single action COLTS.
Always told us was no such thing as a 45 long colt, was a reference to the SMITH AND WESSON SCHOFIELD 45 ROUND, AND THE 45 acp.

holster

I bought my pilots holster from an outfit called Pacific Canvas, and I believe they are now defunct. The Aviators Holster I believe is correctly called the M3 holster. Mine's a repro, and other copies are widely available..........I cannot speak to quality of others. I like the M3 over the M7, as there are no additional buckles or snaps.......you just duck into it.

cartridge

I quit carrying a .22 lr pistol as a woods gun when, about 25 yrs ago, a father and son were kidnapped and murdered upon returning to a remote boat ramp in our rural area. The object was to steal their truck to be used in a bank robbery. All perps have been tried and convicted BTW. My Ruger .22 standard auto pistol got retired and I began again carrying a serious caliber from that point forward. As has been stated by others, your biggest threat is not likely from four legged critters but two legged ones.

The only time I carry a .22 handgun afield these days is when I have a long gun in a more serious caliber along as well. I'll add, VERY rarely do I carry both handgun and long gun afield......just too much stuff.

Is why my woods gun is that Uberti EL PATRON, copy of the COLT SAA, IN 45 COLT.
That gun and caliber been doing its job since 1873, and still doing its job, and I have no problem using it. Been handling single actions since i was knee high to a tall horse.
AM NOW 71 ALMOST 72 and no problems.

I don't go boondocking anymore mostly due to health problems. When I did, usually carried a Ruger .44 magnum in one variety or another. At times an S&W .357 Magnum if not venturing too far off trail. Most time fist shot up is for just in case a venomous snake decided it wants to dance. :eek: To be honest, as many years as I've spent as a desert rat, I've only had to kill three rattlesnakes On was at the request of a friend where the snake was too close to the dwelling for comfort. I told the person I would catch the snake and carry it off a few hundred yards and turn it loose but she insisted it he terminated with extreme prejudice. She was watching her grandchildren and feared for their safety. Normally, if I see the snake I just walk around it enough to not disturb it.

I also try to avoid two legged varmints as well and there's a lot of illegal alien and drug smuggling in my area. Most of the time I had a rifle, usually my Kimber .223 Rem. for coyotes, sometimes something with more horse power for spits and grins.
Paul B.

I really like my S&W Model 63, .22 LR. It has good sights, is minute of squirrel accurate and packs easy. Here in FL we don't have many animals out in the woods that will bother you.

It depends on my mood or where I'll be. Ruger flattop in .45 colt, my S&W model 15, or S&W K22 will be on my hip in an El Paso Saddlery Threepersons holster.

Ruger® New Model Blackhawk® in 41 Magnum with 4⅝" barrel loaded with Underwood® 265gr WLNGC Hard Cast, SKU: 746 UPC: 816874022198. It is my personal "Hammer of Thor!"

I have an H&R .223 Superlight Handirifle with a Lyman target knob peep sight on it. If I could still wander the woods, this rifle is the one I'd take most of the time.

Tony

The only woods I ever frequented or hunted, was in southeast Alaska, and I carried an ‘03 Springfield in original military condition, 30-06. Now my only woodsy forays are short hikes or strolls in State or National parks, where, as stated above, the threat is from two legged monsters. I go with my usual CCW weapons, 44 Bulldog, 357 snub, or S&W Shield. I keep them concealed because I don’t need every hiker I pass telling the ranger, “There’s a guy with a gun up there.”

I guess I am lucky, cause here in southern Alabama , only critters we have to worry about, big rattlers, wild hogs, an unfrequent encounter with a black bear, gaters when near the water, but like most is the 2 legged critters that cause the most trouble.
I carry either my Uberti EL PATRON in 45 colt, (been doing the job since 1873) or one of my 1911s, 45 acp, 38 super, or 9 mm.

Back