favorite whistle-pig rig?

Bill Bryant

I just went on my first (successful) groundhog outing using my trusty .243 Remington 700 with a Weaver 3x9 on top. It worked, cranked out to 9x sitting on a harris bi-pod, but I have a feeling this isn't a favorite set-up for chucks.

What do y'all like, what works best, what do you hate, etc. etc.

I'm an old deer hunter interested in a new hobby and curious about varmint equipment.

[This message has been edited by Bill Bryant (edited May 10, 2000).]

Any deer rifle will work. Sounds like you got a decent set up now. I use a self-built model 70 Win. chambered in 7mm STW. 26" barrel with a muzzle brake. Synthetic factory stock, re-floated, and bedded. Teflon finish on all metal. Harris bi-pod, and a 6x18x50 Leupold rounds out the rifle. I'm using Federal Premium ammo with the Nosler Partition bullets.....I think they are 165 grn. This rifle is expensive to shoot with that ammo... so I mostly take along my old reliable Marlin .22mag for shots under 150 yards. that's it! Just grab your favorite rifle and wack-a-hog!!!! Good luck!!!

CJB

------------------
" I SHOOT BACK! "

i always like the 243 and 25-06 family.as far as scopes i like a 4x12 or a 6x18.i usually take along a .223 if the shots start flying alot.

I've got a Remington .243 BDL with a Douglas middle-weight barrel on it. It's been fire lapped, bedded, and wears a Leupold 6.5x18 target scope.

I've killed quite a few groundhogs with that rifle over the years.

When I was shooting it regularly (before I moved to Virginia from Pennsylvania) I had a load that would regularly cut under 1/2" at 100 yards.

H-S Precision Take-Down on their 2000 action. Heavy barrel. Nightforce 3.5-15x56 scope. Caliber 25-06 Ackley Improved. 100 grain Ballistic Tip does 3475FPS and stays in 1.5" at 300 yards if the wind is calm and the shooter does his part.

Smokes 'em! :D

Rick

------------------
I prefer armed combat to unarmed combat. It's easier on the knuckles.

Ruger 77/22 in 22 Hornet. It shoots .5moa using Hornaday's 40 VMax and is very effective out to 200 yds. Plus, it's quiet and cheap to shoot!

What is a 7mm STW anyway? I take it somewhere between a .280 Rem and 7mm Rem mag? Or even more than the rem mag? What's the case based on?

7MM STW is an 8mm Mag necked down to 7mm.
More powerful and flatter shooting that the 7mm Rem Mag. Powerful Juju to be sure.

My personal pet dog/pig whacker is a Ruger #1 in 22-250 topped with a 6.5-20X Leupold.
Very flat shooter, makes a mess of whatever it hits up to and including coyotes.

MAD DOG would be correct. A STW is a 8mm Mag. necked down to 7mm. My model 70 was a 7mm Rem. Mag. with a 26" barrel from the factory. Since I already had a Model 70 in 7mm Mag, I converted this one to STW. Re-chamber, swap out the magazine spring, and follower, and modify ( or swap ) the bolt stop. I added a brake which brings the total barrel lenght to 30"....it's a mean machine!
But.... I still have no idea why I built this thing...... I needed another rifle like I need another hole in the head....or so my wife says! :D
CJB

------------------
" I SHOOT BACK! "

Back