Favorite Stock for Rem 700?

Tango27

I was just looking over the VAST array of aftermarket synthetic stocks available for the Remington 700, since it looks like the Remington is going to be my next purchase (I'm buying a VLS so I have the option of using a nice laminated stock when I want).

I was interested in hearing what some of your favorites are, and why you like them.

In my opinion,you have 3 choices.
1.The H-S precision stock.This is the most
Reasonably priced of the three.They start
at around $250.00 and go up from there.
2.The Mcmillan stocks.These are my favorite,
especially if you want to duplicate
a M40 (marine sniper rifle).They do need
to be installed by a competant gunsmith.
Expect to pay anywhere from $400.00-$600.00
3.The new stocks made by Accuracy Int.These
duplicate the stock they designed for Their
own rifles.They are made of aluminum and
plastic.I saw one and was impressed.They
cost about $600.00

Bottom line-any of the 3 will work fine.Just make sure it is installed corectly.Even the H-S,which is sold as a "drop in" should at least be bedded in the lug area.And the last thing I would suggest to anyone looking for a stock is to not bother going for some potentially expensive extras-namely an adjustable length of pull.This feature was designed for use on weapons that will be used by several users,who have different L.O.P's.Looks cool,but can add a significant cost to your stock.
Good Luck

Unfortunately, the stock that has the features I want happens to be the most expensive (AICS). Thumbhole stocks have always been the most comfortable for me. With my long arms, adjustable LOP is actually something that I would want on a stock (adjustable spacers would be ideal). And also a high cheekpiece for using an optic.

I know both HS Precision and McMillan make thumbhole stocks, but I haven't seen a model with adjustable LOP.

I have the McMillian A4 and I love it. I know you mentioned that you want to go with a thumbhole stock but I can tell you before I went with the A4, I tried the thumbhole route too. Problem is that thumbhole stocks are a pain with it comes to a bolt rifle. With a normal stock, you can raise your hand after firing, operate the bolt and drop your hand back around the small of the stock with no problems. With a thumbhole stock you first have to pull your thumb out of the hole, work the bolt, regrasp the stock and then stick you thumb back through that miserable stinkin's hole again. As for length of pull, McMillain also makes a spacer system and adjustable cheek rests for their stocks if you want to get more versatility. No, I dont' work for them, just a REALLY happy customer of theirs. :)

HS has an adjustable stock. Adjusts for cheek weld and length. Cost is about $388.

If you or anyone else looks at the AICS and they start telling you that they have a 10 round mag on the way, don't believe them. They have been telling customers and dealers that the 10 round mag will be here for about a year and a half. The AICS is overpriced.

On the Thumbhole stock, McMillan makes what you are looking for in a model called LOD. This stock was originally produced for another company that went bankrupt, but they still build the stocks for the general public. I have used one of these extensively and like it. It is a heavy stock but works well. It has the spacer system and adjustable cheek piece. Cost on this is around $350 I believe.

If I had just the barrelled action, then I'd go with the McMillan. However, if the rifle came with a synthetic stock (either Remington or HS Precision), I'd leave it alone.

Back