favorite pocket pistol

turps

Three Walther PPKs from my collection: 1939 PPK with finger rest, War time PPK eagle proof, and a late war GI put together with dulite frame.

Attachments

• 015.JPG
    015.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 105
  • 016.JPG
    016.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 58
Currently, mine is an American Arms (no longer in business :( ) Walther styled PX22.
I am about to get a couple Beretta model 21s, the tip-up in .22lr. Those are nice and reliable.

dscn0713w.jpg

7.65/.32ACP German PP

Pocket pistol? I started out with my Colt Combat Commander (yes, it is a pocket pistol, I carried it in my back pocket). But it was too big and aroused some interest, so I got a PPKs (Interarms vintage). I loved my PPKs until it bled me one too many times. So I gave it to a girlfriend and got a Charter Arms Bulldog. Since I had never had a self-disassembling firearm before, I did not know what to expect. But when screws, ejector rod heads, and other various parts came up missing, I sold it to a friend who just had to have it. Got a Police Positive. Traded it for another PPK. Traded that for a Colt Diamondback (plus some boot) which went with my ex-wife (both gun and money). Now I'm back to the Combat Commander if I want a pocket pistol. Go figure. So most of the time, I'm unheeled. But I'm looking again . . .

Scorch, How about the best pocket pistol ever made, The Remington Model 51 380 or 32. It has pefect balance,narrow profile, very reliable, good pointing qualities. Most gun fanciers consider this the top gun?
Joe

How about the best pocket pistol ever made, The Remington Model 51 380 or 32. It has pefect balance,narrow profile, very reliable, good pointing qualities. Most gun fanciers consider this the top gun?

Even though I'm an idiot who buys reblued P38s, I agree that the Remington 51 is something special...I have a good one or two 32s, but that one seems to have the best blend of features, and it is one helluva natural pointer.

73, We're in agreement on the Model 51! (That reblue thing made me start to wonder about you having "reliable" comments). :)
Joe
Ammo man, I love PPKs but they can be very hard on your hands. Your hand size, I think, makes a difference?

Scorch, How about the best pocket pistol ever made, The Remington Model 51 380 or 32
To be honest with you, I have never shot one. Handled a few in my gunsmithing, but never shot one. Even if I owned one, I am not sure I would ever shoot it. I am still on the lookout for a Colt Hammerless Pocket Auto in either 32 or 380, I fell in love with one 30 years ago and have never found one when I had the wherewithal. Even a beater would be sweet. Got a spare?

If you check my posts, I have a bunch of early Colts. I just sold a 380 early Colt to Winchester 73. (We harasse each other all the time.We both live in Pgh.but far away so we don't see each other very often! )
Joe

Last edited:
If you check my posts, I have a bunch of early Colts. I just sold a 380 early Colt to Winchester 73. (We harrase each other all the time.We both live in Pgh.but far away so we don't see each other very often! )

Ah yes Joe, harassment at its finest. Cross town rivals! But not really, we help each other out when we can. As far as a bunch of early colts, I thought you had about 5? 5 is now a bunch? Then I must have a hoard of Colts:p

Not sure if you saw this one, here is one of the last vintage Colt auto I bought (aside from the Woodsmans) a boxed 1903:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=516688&highlight=colt+1903

I waited for a long time to get that, because they are common, so I wanted condition.

Not sure if you saw this one, here is one of the last vintage Colt auto I bought (aside from the Woodsmans) a boxed 1903
Ouch! Talk about rubbing salt in the wound! Those are just gorgeous!

Ouch! Talk about rubbing salt in the wound! Those are just gorgeous!

I wasn't really trying to rub salt in anyone's wound:) I was just showing Joe and anyone else who wanted to see it. It was already posted before. Its nice, but IMO, since they are so common, 2+2 there are a lot of nice ones around, in comparison to say a Remington 51, where approx 9x less were made, 65k vs 570k approx. I personally place more emphasis on rarity than condition and I know many of you feel the opposite. That is ok, but a high condition common gun will be seen again and again, so they're not exciting, to me.

Last edited:
How about a 1914 Commercial Military Luger. There were less than a hundred made 99 years ago! Not sure if some parts were re-done but historically, extremely rare (All matching serial numbers, currect serial range 70,000 to 71000, currect commercial and Imperial marks. (Maybe sold to a WWI Luger collector tomorrow). The only one I have seen is on Phynex Auction House and it wasn't for sale only pictures and description. Really not sure what to do!
Joe

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 12
Not sure a Luger qualifies as a pocket pistol, and this is a thread about pocket pistols.

I think my favorite C&R pocket pistol is the CZ27. I don't habve a pic right now, but it is a pretty clever mechanism.

How about a 1914 Commercial Military Luger. There were less than a hundred made 99 years ago! Not sure if some parts were re-done but historically, extremely rare (All matching serial numbers, currect serial range 70,000 to 71000, currect commercial and Imperial marks. (Maybe sold to a WWI Luger collector tomorrow). The only one I have seen is on Phynex Auction House and it wasn't for sale only pictures and description. Really not sure what to do!

Thank you, FALPhil for the reminder. Joe, FALphil is right (this is a pocket pistol thread), and really Joe, since the subject matter is completely different, a new thread should be started and you could see what people here might suggest you do. Most people would say to consign such a piece to an auction, and no, not the way you did it either.

Really not sure what to do?

I have trouble understanding why a collector would sell their rarest and most valuable gun. I suppose its partly because you don't like Lugers very much, at least as much as I do. In addition, you could buy other guns with the money, but would you buy something as special? Buying several lesser guns isn't as special as having 1 really special gun, in my opinion.

73,I was getting into your rarity and condition piece you mention in one of your last threads and thought I would add this to the change of direction but I understand that I was off base!
Joe

Back