Favorite flashlight for handgun?

Mikef262

Hello, I was wondering what opinions are floating around about favorite handgun lights. I plan to become a police officer in town, and they carry Glock 22's with the Streamlight TLR-2 attached. I would like just a basic light on my personal Glock 22. I carry it hunting during deer season. We have a generator hooked up outside that requires somebody to go put gas in it every so often throughout the night. There are packs of coyotes that run around the property I hunt, and we have had issues with people walking around the land with firearms that I hunt as well. It is marked private property, but I guess people don't think that applies to them. Any who, I would like a light for those purposes, as well as home defense. I don't really feel the need for the flashlight laser combo, just the light. It would also be nice to have just to practice with the light mounted (not that it makes a difference other than weight). Buy what do you guys think? What are some good lights to put on a glock? I don't like the pressure switch thing. I like the switch being right in front of the trigger guard like the Streamlights. I've seen the Streamlight TLR 1, 2, and 3, but are there any other good choices out there?

Streamlight, SureFire, or Insight/L3.

These three are the companies that LE and the military use for illumination.

Streamlight is definitely the best value. Might take a look at Viridian as well.

I'll echo everyone's thoughts and say that the TLR-1 will be the best bang for the buck! I've owned them in the past on other guns and never had one fail on me.

I will throw another option out there; if you want something on the cheap for a blemished, throw away check out Protec (or other variants of this specific light).

I have 1 year and well over 500 rounds in my XD with the light on and it works good as new! I've heard of other cheap brand lights failing due to the recoil however this one works perfect.

20150812_213024_zpskarau1js.jpg

I'm no expert...and please,do it your way.

Some suggest that a hand held tac flashlight may be a better option.

The gun mounted light provides an aim point for an armed bad guy.On the gun,you are head shot.

At the end of your arm sticking out..its a miss.

For assessing and identifying a target...reconning the area,a weapon light is about you walking around pointing a loaded handgun at EVERYTHING,in all directions...perhaps folks you do not want to kill.

Its possible that could lead to a relatively innocent armed citizen identifying YOU as a deadly threat,as you are pointing a gun at them...when all you needed was illumination.

Just ponts to consider.

I've had the Streamlight TLR-2 on my Beretta for several years now and its worked well with no malfunctions. I also like that it doesn't protrude past the barrel. For a laser/light combination, its been a nice reliable setup that works well.

Last edited:
Some suggest that a hand held tac flashlight may be a better option.

The gun mounted light provides an aim point for an armed bad guy.On the gun,you are head shot.

That is the old school way of thinking. The idea of holding the light away from the gun and body "FBI technique" is more of a search technique to change lighting angles. When it comes to shooting it is not so great. typically it becomes an issue of trying to aim two things at once and the outstretched arm acts like a pendulum and causes the gun to move excessively resulting in poor hits and slower shooting.

Someone also mentioned the problem of having to point the gun to identify a threat. With the new led weapon mounted lights putting out 500 plus lumens you don't need to point the gun directly at an area/person to get plenty of light to identify.

My vote for a light is the Surefire 300 ultra. Not say that the TLR is a bad light but I've seen TLR's fail more than Surefire. Also I've never seen a Surefire fly off a gun while being shot, TLR, I see it on a regular basis.

The Streamlights are fantastic. Bright, great battery life, solid construction... Personally, I have a TLR-3 on my 3.8" XDM. The TLR-3 is shorter and lighter than the other streamlights. I am not interested in a laser, so I avoided the TLR-2 and 4 (I think those are the ones with lasers...)

The TLR-1 is great for full size guns! If you are buying off of ebay, make sure to not get an old one without LED.

I like the TLR-3 for the size, the weight, the easy switch, and its just crazy bright, which is the idea! When I wake up to my door being kicked down, I don't want to have to grab my gun and flashlight separately... I want to grab my gun, get in front of my family, and identify the target clearly when its dark. Or sneaky coyotes.

513c0ZPF76L._SX300_.jpg

One that I can hold out to the side with my non-weapon hand. Ain't no sense giving the bad guy a point of aim in the dark.

Back