Favorite Derringer?

Armando B

I've decided to get a Derringer for side matches or just for fun plinking.... any favorites?

I'll keep it at .38 just like everything else I shoot.

Also, anyone ever consider carrying a derringer as a back up CCW? It occured to me it must be the most comfortable and concealeable gun around? :cool:

Look at American Derringer Corp. at http://www.amderringer.com Their products are a bit expensive but have much better quality then some others on the market. The also have models with the “western look” of Remington’s little .41 over/under.

You can carry a derringer for personal protection, but the larger models (those over .22 rim fire) are in a size and weight class of some of the smaller revolvers and pocket automatics. So far as plinking or matches are concerned you will have to learn to hold off because both barrels won’t shoot to the same point-of-aim. But then, these guns were designed for point-blank ranges, during personal confrontations and by most accounts worked well enough on most occasions.

i'd also take a look at the Bond Derringer....i own an American Derringer in 38 and have been less than pleased with it....at the cowboy match this weekend we used it as the club gun that everyone shot and
it misfired probably ten times....i sent it back a year or so ago for another problem and was really pissed off by their service..... Two Cowboy buddies of mine both sold their American Derringers and got Bonds because of problems similar to mine......Dick

Bonds are nice but built pretty stout. American Derringers are lighter but of a little more dubious quality and accuracy. Davis derringers are used as fishing weights by more than a few CAS members who made the mistake of buying them.

I've got an American Derringer DA in .38 spl. Had a bit of problem with one cartridge not seating correctly but factory fixed the problem just fine when I returned it to them.
At ten yards one barrell will hit top of pie plate and the other hits the bottom. About as good as one could expect from one of those things I guess.
I do carry mine sometimes, but only when I would not otherwise be carrying a gun for whatever reason.

The American is more traditional, but the Bond has a far superior opening mechanism. Neither of them (at least, speaking of my own two) are more accurate than the other...both are fairly worthless at anything beyond 10 yards. However, you sure won't be shooting anything much beyond that in CAS side matches :b

I tried Model 1 on the 300m pop-ups at the SAW range...just couldn't seem to hit any :confused: Had to break out the 1911 for those :D

Alex

A couple of years ago at a match, I saw a fellow (Wild Phil Coyote) using a single shot .22LR derringer- it was wicked accurate, and easily won over American Derringer and similar products. I wonder if anyone's making that type these days (his was an antique).

MrA: Davis = Cobra, correct?

I have heard a lot of good things about the Bonds. I will point out, however, that their reliability and strength mean increased bulk (or vice versa, if you prefer), which is good but does make them heavier and larger than the others. Oh, and they won't fit in those nifty suspender holsters from COWS, either. :-(

- 0 -

I have an American Derringer in 45colt. After shooting around 20 rounds I start getting misfires through it. I have to screw the firing pins back into their seats, as they seen to virbate loose under lots of use. Other than that I love it. It does exactually what it is mean to do, and that is hit targets at close range . :)

Back