Favorite .38 special load for Bullseye?

mutski

What is your favorite .38 special load for bullseye competition? I'm shooting indoor 50-foot NRA targets with a .357 Taurus Tracker. What bullet weight and shape is most accurate? What powder and load?

Last edited:
Probably the most popular .38 bullet I've seen is the 148gr wadcutter, either double-end (DEWC) or hollow base (HBWC).

I was using Rainier (sp) plated DEWC over 2.9 of Clays, (in a S&W 52, so your mileage may vary) but there are a ton of choices in powder.

I know wadcutters cut the cleanest hole. Are they the most accurate? Also, my gunsmith was urging me to use a jacketed or washed bullet or to reduce the velocity of the wadcutters to reduce lead fouling in the ports of my barrel. Any advice?
I've seen people using some fully jacketed bullet tapered at both ends. Makes a much smaller hole than the wadcutter, which I guess is a disadvantage if you are trying to touch the nearest inside ring. Know anything about that?

I'm not familiar with a pistol bullet tapered at both ends, but the thinking behind wadcutters is, indeed, to cut the cleanest and largest hole possible in the paper for maximum scoring opportunity.

The velocities of most .38 target rounds (<800 fps) shouldn't cause much leading at all, but I don't have any first-hand experience with ported barrels.

As far as accuracy, I've had good results out to 50 yards outdoors (when I do my part) with wadcutters.

Thanks for your help! I just ordered a Lee Classic Turret press and manual, should be experimenting soon!

thoughts...

148g wadcutter (try the Speer and Hornady versions), Federal SP primers, sized case, bullet flush to case mouth and suggest a taper crimp, start load 2.8g Bullseye or 3.0g W231; work up in .1g increments with either.

Back