Favorite 32 Mag or 32-20 revolvers?

Glamdring

I see that ruger has a SA in 32 mag again, now if they would just put adjustable sights on it!

How hard is it to put adjustable sights on a fixed sighted revolver?

I've been looking for an S&W Hand Ejector in .32-20 for years, now.

They're pretty hard to find, and the fixed sight ones are harder to find, and a lot more expensive.

back when i started shooting, back in the late '60s, there were smiths that were mounting s&w k-frame sights on colt SAA which were very neat :cool:

it might work just as well with the ruger

does anyone know if this gun can be used for cowboy shooting competition?

I kinda like the 6 inch HE I have in 32-20. It's a 4th change, so it's still in really nice condition. I like shootin' it, and take it out about once a year to do so. The only thing I don't like is that it isn't a five incher. Oh well, I suppose I can live with that.

I'd like to find a SA in 32-20 to play with and maybe use in CAS. But then, I'd hafta get a levergun and another pistol to match. Oh well, I suppose I could force myself to live with that too.

Yellowstone/9mm,

I'm pretty certain that .32-20 is a perfectly legal caliber for Cowboy Action, as it was an available caliber back then in both rifles and handguns.

As for Single Actions today, American Western Arms catalogs their Peacemaker clone in, among others, .32-20 and .38-40.

I'm SERIOUSLY considering getting one in .32-20.

If you handload the .32 H&R Magnum is a better choice than the .32-20, whose thin brass will often crumple in the die.
The .32 Mag we have is an older Ruger Bisley, 6-1/2". It has fixed sights, but these were well-regulated for the robust handloads we use. It's also fun to use .32 S&W Long cases for 80% 'subloads' in the Bisley.
If you are a nostalgia buff/collector, there are lots of old S&W and Colt DA's floating around, and a few SAA's.
The ultimate ".32 Magnum" is probably the Ruger Blackhawk .30 Carbine. Shoots flat, tears up eardrums even with plugs or muffs on.
I am not enthusiastic about the new 'Vaquero' fixed sight Ruger .32. A play-pretty toy for grown-up pretend-cowboys, at an inflated price.

The 32-20 is indeed an acceptable CAS caliber, but the question raised by 9mm has to do with the addition of K-frame sights on a SAA or clone.

CAS rules allow a shooting category called modern, if the pistol has adjustable sights... or dove tailed front or rear sights for that matter. It appears, according to a recent proposed rule clarification, that any such sights must be "factory installed" in order to continue to fit into the modern class.

CAS rules have always been restrictive of external modifications and it seems that will never change.

Of course all pistols must be SA revolvers for CAS. But, there is at least one other club that allows broom handled Mausers and such, though.

I have a Ruger .32 magnum with adjustable sights. I don't know how many were made but you should be able to find a used one. I thing I know a dealer who still has one new in the box. If somebody is interested post it and I will see if he still has it.

Back