FAT Wrench

Roland Thunder

I am thinking of getting an FAT wrench (Wheeler). S&W recommends 12 in/lbs of torque for some screws. The FAT wrench I want is digitaland has a range of 15-100 in/lbs. Will the 15 in/lbs likely cause the screws to break off (or any other issues) or should I get the analog version that has a range of 10-60 ft/lbs or will it even make a difference? I would prefer to get the digital one.

Got this off Ebay, Wheeler Fat Wrench w/ 10 bits #553556, range 10-65 inch pounds for $36.15 and free shipping. Not digital but the usual spring tension/click type. Test cert provided shows perfect accuracy at 30 in/pounds and a couple tenths off at 10 and 65 ranges tested.
Problem with most testing devices is accuracy is least at the extreme ranges. A range of 15-100 inch pounds like what you're looking at is beyond where most firearm torque settings exist.

I get the analog version that has a range of 10-60 ft/lbs or will it even make a difference?

to start with, you mention both in/lbs and ft/lbs. Which one is correct??

If the spec you want to duplicate is 12 in/lbs (inch/pounds) a torque wrench that goes from 10-60 FT/lbs (Foot/pounds) is NOT the right tool.

"...thinking of getting an FAT wrench..." How much do you think you'll use the thing?
Like AMP says, it's in/lbs or ft/lbs. Not both.
To digital or not to digital is mostly about your eye sight. I'm 100% in favour of digital anything for the simple reason that it's easier to read and more exact.

It's unlikely to be an issue, but call S&W and find out what the tolerance for that setting is. The FAT wrenches only claim to be good for +/- 2 in-lb. If you need more precision, you probably want something more along the lines of this: Dial torque wrench.

I wasn't sure how often i'd use one before i bought mine.
Use the heck out of it!
I got the analog type. Still better that the calibrated click elbow!
Either one, you won't be sorry!

Back