FART lite

308Loader

So, I finally decided to try wet tumbling. picked up a Frankford Arsenal Rotary Tumbler lite. Instructions are vague on the amount of SS media to add, number of cases it will handle (except 223)... Looking for advise on what is working for you all in this machine.

I tried a test run of 100 223 cases and 150 .308 cases ([separate runs] just what I have laying around in dirty brass) with run time from 30m to 1h30m, not super impressed yet. Only running 2LB of their 5.5 SS pins. I am de-priming before tumbling, dash of dawn, and lemishine, good rinse of cold H2O... brass is decently clean on the outside, primer pockets are ok, inside of cases not so impressed. This process including dry time, I can do in my dry media vibe with almost same results. what am I missing here?

The specs call for 2# of cleaning media which you got right, but it will work better/best if you have the 300 cases or close to it in. You should increase the # of 223 cases up to the max, and if you plan on using the LITE for 308 cases, figure out how many 308 cases it takes to equal 300 .223 cases volume wise. I would fill the tumber with 300 .223 cases, note how full it is and then duplicate it with 308 cases.

I have a LITE, and some of the cases look great, almost like new, while others not so much. I figure it's just life in general and don't worry a lot about. I can clean up the primer pockets when I process the brass if needed.

I like their cleaning solution and think it is worth the price. It only takes a splash or two in the regular model. I find it takes lots of rinsing to get rid of the suds. Then I add 1/4 cup auto-wash-wax in a final rinse.
I only run full batches. 1000 40 SW is a full load. I let it run a couple of hours and check on it. Sometimes I run it longer. That is to clean the primer pockets.
It is a good product for cleaning range brass: once with no pins, then Deprime. Then again with the pins.

I have the Franklin Lite and the Lyman. The Lyman definitely does a better job. Perhaps it has to with the difference in the tubs. The Lyman is rubber lined and the Franklin Lite isn't.

I run 5 lbs. of pins in the Lyman and half that in the Franklin. I also run for 3 hours, with only brass, water, pins , and a bit of Lyman Turbo Sonic Case Cleaning Solution.

The liquid level required in the Franklin is higher. It needs to be up to the bottom of the mouth of the tub regardless of the amount of brass and pins.

I have the big FART and I'll add another thumbs up for their soap. I have a RO/DI unit that I use to make water for my aquarium. If your able to use clean water like this it really makes a difference. Even for a final rinse it leaves the brass clear of any water spots.

Had a little more time today to look at the batch of 308 cases as a whole.
jpx2rk I think got it right.

"I have a LITE, and some of the cases look great, almost like new, while others not so much.".

Pulled some of the cases from that run and wow! Inside of the cases pristine! only a few that were not so much. I retract my earlier statement, dry tumble can not do this as well. Weeks ago I got lucky and got a working food dehydrator from GW for $10. Think I might have a brass dryer. :)

UncleNick has a funny story about testing both distilled and RO water for total dissolved solids. He found out that distilled water, despite its name, had more minerals. RO is for real, and distilled: not so much.
You could use either with good results. I have a home unit that can make 10 gallons a day. I drink it too.

We use just the RO for drinking water and RO/DI for my reef tank, washing our cars and cleaning brass.
The sediment cart, carbon and RO unit removes most TDS, the DI brings it to zero.

Back