• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

FAQs for popular topics?

Handy

I'm prompted by the 43rd "How to ship a handgun" thread this year to inquire if the moderators would like to have a FAQ or primer for a couple fairly concrete, but complex, topics.

I would volunteer to submit (for review and editting) a shipping FAQ, since I've done it alot with all the usual companies, believe I have the facts in order.

Maybe someone like Shaggy could be asked to summerize Class III stuff.

"Can I buy a handgun at 18" Q&A might be a good one.

Firearms finishes, defined.

Etc - I'm sure there are dozens. As long as the topics are well researched and the moderators agree that the contents are accurate, this would be a simple way of cutting down on bickering and bandwidth by condensing the knowledge into one TFL sponsored document.

I'm not suggesting anything heavy-handed, or subject to a great deal of opinion. Just reference items to topics that end up being the subject of great debate, despite available reference material and experience.

I looked, but couldn't find that in library until just now.

Well then, maybe it should be corrected and expanded? It says "ground shipment is not legal," which is wrong.

You sure you weren't looking in the THR library, which is no longer updated?
Yeah, that sounds plausible. Ground shipping is forbidden by the carriers, but not forbidden by law?

I am sick of stupid laws. I'm sick of thinking about them, I'm sick of reading them, and I'm sick of having to make no-win decisions about whether to obey them. Therefore, the library's law summaries (like the more-or-less accurate blade laws summary and law-oriented FAQs) will probably not get fixed unless people like you provide corrections.

Handy, I would say go ahead and submit your reworded/updated version here. If it is better/more factual, I see no reason why we shouldn't incorporate it into the library.

Back