Fantasy Blade?

HKguy9

A Strider Katana with tiger stripe camo and 550 cord handle...scaled up version of their line of blades that look like:
bt-mainpic.jpg

I'm not a huge knife fan, but that's one COOL looking blade. Where could one get an sample peice and about how much? What kinda of steel is used?

yorec, I'm not into knives either. The only knife I have that isn't a multitool is an 8" Kabar for making sushi (no kidding).

I started looking at knives mainly because they look neat. It's a Strider something or other and MSRP is $300+ but I bet it can be had for cheaper.

I think a 3-set of Japanese blades (whatever they're called, the medium, large and super-size swords) in this configuration would be great.

$300.00?!? Never mind - I don't care what it's made outta, they ain't getta my gun money savings... I'm a gunnut not a knifenut, lol!

I'm sure I can find a pretty decent knife for less than a third of that which'll probably work just as well. Coolness look - fah! :rolleyes:

But I bet they sell a few...

What's the purpose of the reinforced "tanto" dropped-clip point? Only makes it a pure thrusting knife, which it is too short to be. There are better balanced & lighter 'stickers' out there.

Not efficient for slashing, too much tip, not enough edge.

Looks like a expensive & not too useful prybar.

CWL:What's the purpose of the reinforced "tanto" dropped-clip point? Only makes it a pure thrusting knife, which it is too short to be. There are better balanced & lighter 'stickers' out there.

Hey, its 'fantasy', ok? If you want a real knife, you buy a Randall. <grin>

Nice knife, but I'll take mine without the camo print.

Skunkabilly, the 3-piece set you're looking for is the tanto (knife), wakizashi (short sword) and katana (long sword).

Supposedly, the tanto knife excels at cutting arteries where a "regular blade" would slide off, but I've never put that into practice, because I've never cut anyone's arteries yet. :D

Tantos blades have wonderfully strong tips. Cold Steel constantly brags about how theirs can punch through car hoods or slash clean through a piece of swinging 3" rope, in case a car hood or swinging 3" rope ever attacks you.

If you like tanto blades, take a peep at the Cold Steel Recon tanto. It's a Recon tanto, so it's guaranteed to make all the commandos seethe in jealousy! And it costs around $80.

Personally, I'm not fond of cord handles on anything other than a display knife - if I use that for hardcore outdoor use, it's going get all kinds of gunk stuck in there. Cord grips don't feel great when their wet either. Squishy.

Strider makes very good, tough blades. They can't help that people want American Tanto points; they make what sells. You can get the same basic knife with a spear point, clip point, double edge, etc. You can also do much better than their MSRP, but they ain't cheap. Honestly, much like Mad Dogs, if you don't bet your life on how much you can abuse your knife in a life-or-death situation you don't have a need for one of these.
But they are cool.

(Yes, I'm well aware that Mad Dog is now going to come over here and kick me in the nuts for comparing his knives to someone else's. Well, they may not be similar in a lot of specifics, but they cater to the same crowd for the same basic reason.)

The Tanto design is pure utility. Its probably the strongest type of knife put out and they can be extremely sharp.

As already noted, the point design is almost indestrutcable. I say "almost" because some people consider knives to be general purpose tools, a combination srewdriverbumperjackhandlecanopenernutbustingpeanutbutterspreadingtoolofallsorts.

I have the Coldsteel Recon Tanto that Runt talks about. Ive been using it for years to camp,hunt, clean fish and I occasionlly carry it on duty when Im playing Cop.

I can testify to its toughness.Ive broke the tips of several traditinal style knives. Im not saying the tip cant be broke on a Tanto point, but one would really have to work at it .

Last edited:
Someone tell MPFreeman to get back to work. My nephews have to start saving for med school. Geez, where did you get that stuff?

Cool kanif, Skunk. But how much will the paint add to the price?

Black would be cheaper AND more tactically correct.:)

Cool kanif, Skunk. But how much will the paint add to the price?

Black would be cheaper AND more tactically correct.

Well instead of tiger stripe camo, of course I would choose skunk stripe camo, subdued black & white to blend with the urban environment.

Seriously though, it would be neat to have them as display blades to make me warm and happy, if nothing else.

Real Japanese Tantos were carried as utility knives by Samurai & for cutting the heads off-of vanquished foes. Their tips are not ground like American tanto tips. (I have a real one made from a broken katana.)

Agreed that American Tantos are great penetrators, but what for? Probably useful for taking on car doors and 55gal drums when they attack, but what else?

The tip is marketing hype rather than useful for true fighter role or utility/field knife. There are far better designs, including folding knives for hunting & fishing.

CWL,

Tanto’s (American) are over hyped, but they do have some very real strengths. The angle from the main edge to the secondary edge creates a point that is supposed to be great for things like snap cuts. Personally I don’t see much use for snap cuts, but regardless it does give you a secondary point that is at least as pointed as a spey blade, and probably pretty close to most long drop points. Moreover that secondary point is essentially in line with the main edge of the blade, which can be useful. Rather than moving the position of the knife in relation to the item being cut you have a “tip” right there where you have your main slicing edge. Isn’t always necessary, but it has its uses. An American tanto blade will be stronger at the tip than any other blade design (I hate to be so all inclusive, but I sure can’t think of a stronger design). Granted, there are plenty of knives out there with a different blade geometry that are stronger than anyone could ever hope anticipate needing (such as the Busse Battle Mistress). I am not a real huge “gotta have it” fan of tantos, but I have a couple and they have their benefits.

Skunk,

I’d be leery of getting a knife that fits the niche that the Strider does, with a 550 cord for the grip. Personal preference, but having owned one or two knives with grips like that, I decided that 550 cord just plain bites when it comes to a good grip. YMMV however.

true fantasy

The "boy-ninja", "mall warrior", tanto blade made up to mimic some sort of ancient oriental weapon.....NOW, THAT'S FANTASY!:barf:

But if the question is what would be the reader's fantasy blade? Then Wow! That would be like a kid in the candy store story...

Guess I'd have to go with a Moran of any configuration or size....due to the man and the myth...the value, etc....

After that, I'd take any Randall......:D

CWL,

As I understand it, the Strider show in the photo is indeed intended for the kind of bizarre, hardcore situations a serious operator might need a knife for. They are indeed designed to be used if necessary as big prybars- the kind of knife you might be able to bust out of a burning cockpit with if necessary.

At least, that's the impression I get. The Strider forums at www.bladeforums.com might have more information.

I have a pair of Strider trainers... that as close as I got to the knife in the base note. To be honest I really have no need of a knife that size :D

from the picture ,the blade shape is close to the Timberline Spec-war. the only tanto i have is the buck nighthawk;a well priced utility blade.
i agree with the post concerning Cold Steel blades:they are top quality. unlike many of their overly thick blades,the recon tanto is a well designed knife. i would really like to see a carbon V tanto with a brass handguard,and steel butt-cap.
i have a recon scout which comes awful close to unbreakable utility.

Back