FALs - FNs, L1A1, STG58, etc., metric/non - what's the difference?

Futo Inu

What's the deal with all these? Which one is best? Most compatible with existing parts/mags? Get one designated "metric" or not, or does it matter, etc.? Thanks.

Metric = the most common type of FAL as originally designed by FN. The metric pattern rifles have the most parts and accessories available. Mags are often in the $10 range. Some distinguishing characteristics are:
1. the pistol grip slides over a shaft that protrudes from the gripframe and is secured by a nut
2. the selector switch is usually rounded
3. the magazines have small a hook at the front that is punched right out of the mag body
4. the mag latch is narrow and at the right hand side of the magwell
5. the cocking handle is round and doesn't fold

stg58left.jpg

Inch = used by Britain and her commonwealth nations. These are often called L1A1 (Australia), C1A1 (Canada), SLR (Britain). These are not nearly as common as, and more expensive than, the metric and can be distinguished by:
1. a forward folding cocking handle.
2. the pistol grip is secured by a screw that is inserted upward, through the front of the pistol grip, which is covered by a steel strip that is also part of the triggerguard
3. The magazines have a brazed-on hook at the front. These mags are far more expensive than metric, often in the $20 neighborhood.
4. The mag catch is very wide, usually as wide as the magwell itself.
5. The bolt hold open device has been disabled by shortening a pin (can usually be enabled by replacing the pin or buying a new hold open device).
6. Many have full wood furniture and look great.

l1a1c.jpg

Israeli/Izzy = obviously the Israeli version. These are pretty uncommon and usually demand a premium price. I'm not intimately familiar with these, but they can be identified by:
1. Short, round, and usually wood, handguards.
2. Carry handle points forward, not to the rear. This is because it has a heavy barrel, which shifts the center of gravity forward.

arsfalo.jpg

STG-58 = metric pattern rifle used by the Austrian army. This is the most common, metric pattern, kit on the market today. It had an integral bipod that folds into the stamped steel handguards.

[This message has been edited by Destructo6 (edited December 20, 1999).]

Thank you, Destructo, you are the man. That STG58 sounds like a good overall deal. Their ad claims they used the original FN-FAL "blueprints" or similar term, from which they manufacture these. But can you tell me why in the world a 21-inch barreled STG is $899.00 but the same thing with a 16.5" bbl is $1,399.00?

Yeah, the 21-inch is standard and the 16.5-inch is either a cut down or new barrel.

I have a DSA receiver with a STG-58 parts kit and the required number of US parts. I like it quite a bit, but if I were to do it again, I'd use an Imbel receiver instead. They're manufactured under liscence from FN, unlike the US-made versions. Avoid Hesse and Armscorp at all costs.

OK, but can't I just buy the entire rifle fully assembled. I assume those STG58s are complete rifles at that price? What receiver do they use? What's the advantage of using a kit and separate receiver anyway? Just cost savings? And I still don't understand why $500.00 is ADDED to the price just for getting less gun (shorter bbl).

Well, the 21-inch barrel is the one that comes in the suplus parts kit. If you want something other than the 21-inch standard contour, you have to pay extra for it.

A lot of the inexpensive, complete, STG-58 rifles are built on Imbel receivers, but some are built on Hesse (bad bad bad). You won't save any money by having a rifle built from a bare receiver and parts kit, but you have a little more control over the quality of the build and you know who to yell at if it's wrong. Some of the complete rifles are good to go, straight from the box, but others need a trip back to the smith to iron out a few problems.

hi futo inu
Try the Century Arms international
Centurion 58 . Make sure to specify an Imbel
reciever or you do not want the gun. Hess
recievers jam.
The Centrion 58 comes with the open pistol grip stock and the centrion 58 is like 2 lbs lighter than a L1A1 which has the thumbhole stock.
You should be able to get one around
780.oo + ship which is what I am selling em for. larrysdiscountguns@erols.com

Back