FAL Sportster .308

chink

I'm thinking about a FAL Sportster saw one locally for 599.99 was wondering what you'll thought of them

Be aware that you may be buying a kit gun. Many of these have inch uppers, metric lowers, newer barrels, etc. There are three basic variations of FALs; inch, metric and Ishapore. The headspace may be off, esp. if the barrel was replaced. But overall a fun weapon to shoot. I can get around 3MOA out of mine, if I take my time and relax.
Also before altering, be aware that there are several laws governing what can and can't be done (evil assault weapon laws) to these.

Hey Garrick,

I noticed you also live in Kalifornia. Be carefull of this FAL. The Ka. assault weapons bill specifically bans resale of "Fabrique Nationale FAL, LAR, FNC, 308 match and sporter".

I am currently researching/purchasing the parts to build a KA. legal FAL. This would include an upper reciever that does not have FAL or any of above markings on it( in my case this is a DSA arms SA-58 reciever- 500$). The parts kits to complete the rifle are ~ 200$. If you want a pistolgrip stock instead of the thumbhole you need to have at least 7(or 6 depending on interpretation) american made parts.

Some very good resources for your FAL are at the FAL files http://www.geocities.com/Area51/1234/index.html and DSA arms http://www.dsarms.com/ .

Also see the thread on HK vs. FAL on this forum for some excellent advice.

enjoy!

Olazul

[This message has been edited by olazul (edited February 24, 1999).]

I saw an add at traders it a gun joint in san leandro for a Century arms L1A1 for 599 complete. They look cool with the thumb hole stock and i'm over my ar-15 great gun, but I want something that kicks

I have one,, works fine,, good shooter,, never had any problems at all.. If you like a good shooter and you dont have hung ups on the thumb hole stock, or name brands,,, go for it. I think it is a fun shooter and a fine battle rifle.
Happy Shooting

I love my CAI gun! Yep, it's a mutt, but it works great. I can't give as precise an evaluation of accuracy as fal308 (I only shoot in field conditions, not at a range), but I suspect it shoots better than I do.

------------------
"If you send your jack-booted, baby-burning bushwackers to confiscate
my guns, pack them a lunch...It will be a damned long day."
-Harry Thomas, NRA board member.

One of mine had the B&C thumbhole stock. I didn't care for it. It didn't fit me correctly, but not many stocks do as I am left handed. The t-hole did feel better when I was shooting wrong(right) handed. My pistolgrip section of the t-hole stock seemed to be slightly canted for right handed shooting. Several of my shooting buddies noticed it also. Some of my friends who picked up Sporters around the same time noticed the same with theirs.

I find he thumb hole stock OK,, I can live with it, and the price diffs bewteen a DSA and CIA makes it feel better. The sporter is not my main rifle for defense. Thumb hole stock would not be my first choice.

[This message has been edited by Swamprat (edited February 26, 1999).]

There is a store here in sacramento that has a Century Arms FAL that has a pistol grip (not a thumbhole stock) and normal buttstock.
It has US parts and would legally have to use US made magazines (or US part magazines).
I found it a lot move comfortable to hold than the thumbhole stock CA sporter. On the thumbhole stock rifle, i couldnt reach the safe switch with my thumb, but on the pistol grip rifle, it was as easy as an AR15 to reach the safety switch.
I didnt really like the FAL type guns til i handle one with a pistol grip. It priced at around 750 bucks, which is too much money for me right now.
Its at river city gun exchange here in sacramento, if anyone is interested.

Dave Ninja
http://www.dgweb.com/~dninja

I had the same problem with my Thumb hole stock.
It was too thick and I could not reach the saftey.
I milled off about a 1/4" from each side of the stock then used a die grinder to contour the stock to fit my hand.
It works a ton better Now.
If you don't want to tweek the stock, DSA sells a nice Dragnov Style stock for the FALs for about $75.
Other than the Thumb Hole I love My Century Fal.

[This message has been edited by Kevin (edited March 04, 1999).]

I got one (L1A1) a couple of years ago, and enjoy shooting it a lot, besides it's easier to maintain than that infernal roller bloc HK-91. I do get an occassional case head separation when using cheap Chinese ammo,(never again), and fast shooting in the Arizona desert in July.
Might this be a result of mismatched parts?
I just assumed low quality ammo under extremely stressful conditions.
Any thoughts out there on this.

fal308

As far as I remember, it was only the "copper
washed" colored chinese stuff.
Regardless, I never buy "chi com" anything now as it is produced by slave labor.
Besides, what can you say about a regime that executes political dssidents with a bullet to the head AND then charges the victims family for the cost of the bullet.
(Sorry, had to make a political statement here!)

TABING
Heard that!
Why China has "Most Favored Nation" Status is beyond me. Just more of the LibDems talking out of both sides of thier two faces I guess.

Politics aside, Avoid the copperwashed/steel cased stuff like the plague! I call it Bore Eraser! It may work fine and yadayadayada, but it's not going through MY guns.
I'd LOVE to get an Oehler Personal Ballistics Lab and see the difference in chamber pressures between brass and steel cases. Don't know why nobody's done it yet.

------------------
Your mind is your primary weapon.

I have a L1A1 made in Lithgow,Oz in '70.
I haven't got a clue how much or little it does in MOA but it was quite possible to engage ipsc target's head @ 100yds with the iron sights. This was naturally done prone since I'm definately not Simo Häyhä or anythang near :)

How close to it does an average one get, I dunno since the dealer had a heap of 'em out of which mine was chosen by driving short lengths of lead bar thru each and everyone's bore and picking up the one with the tightest bore after measuring these pieces of lead.

The Oz'ian L1A1's happen to have allso HC'd bore in addition to brit ones chamber.
It's quite imposible to get completely constant layer thickness on such process and thus premiere (Assault) guns like Sako M92S/M95 have unplated barrel bores.
So to have one really good it calls for chance to perform some prepurchasial pickin' up :)

The HC of the barrel kept me from hackin' it down to the length of 50-63 paratrooper modells length. In order to decrease the swing weigth and thus target to target splits a muzzlebrake was machined out of titanium bar that I used to keep the carage's door open. :) So the ever so evil flash hider got dumbed...maybe it can be used to somethang (?)

Then a L-shaped sidemount was machined off lump of Dural and fitted with screws to the right side of the upper.

My trusty relicish Aimpoint 3000 found a new home for it's pension days on the top of the mount whereas it's excessive weight doesn't matter.

Then I only needed to make the slide lockback device active by installing a rolled pin in to the neat hole that allready was in the latch. A vot; some loctite 638 and large hammer + disc grinder. and I was there.

I've been quite satisfied with the gun, considering that I paid aprox. $200 for the unfired weapon + many hours I spent happily tinkering with it.

It has a negative recoil flip with nato spec. ball and with mah pf 345 load it stays pretty much straigth making VERY fast shooting possible.

These are nice guns even thou not the most accurate on earth but do the need to be ?? ;)

Now if I only could find those Bren L4 30rnd mags that fit L1A1 lower....

Gattling.

Back