FAL "lightning Cuts"

orsogato

I recently picked up a DSA made FAL on an IMBEL receiver. The receiver is marked.

FMAP "DM" Rosario
Industria Argentina

DSA, Greylake Illinois is stamped on the inside of the mag well.

What the hell are "lightning cuts" that everybody talks about? Would they be on this receiver? Where would I look.

BTW, I am way way pleased with this rifle if anybody is looking for a FAL try to find one of these DSAs on IMBEL receivers.

It appears as a zigzag, "lightening bolt" pattern on either side of the receiver. It's a something of a fashion modification made in the early 1970's.

Just kidding. That confused me for a while, too.

Cuts were made to the exterior and a few interior parts of the receiver to decrease (lighten) the receiver. The first FAL receivers, referred to as "Type 1" configuration, had these cuts. Later, it was determined that the weight savings did not warrant the extra expense of making the cuts. These later receivers are referred to as, "Type 3" and look somewhat slab-sided.

This is a lightening cut Type 1:

dsurcallouts_2.jpg

This is a no lightening cut Type 3:

ri956.jpg

There are actually two different sets of cuts. The ones on the receiver that Destructo writes about are for weight savings and structural rigidity. The original Type 1 receiver had a "stepped side" receiver as shown in the picture above. The Type 2 receiver had a similar cut with the exception of a part that was not "step" cut and was full width. When it was determined that this was not necessary, the cuts were eliminated to save costs and time. Thus the Type 3, which is flat sided, as shown in the lower photo.
The cuts you see in some bolts were to help clear the action of L1A1a in sandy environments. They were origianlly only on Commonwealth bolts and carriers IIRC for British and Commonwealth troops in the Near East. There were corresponding cuts in the carrier so that the silt would not scratch and scar the action. There was also a lift-off sand cover that covered the ejection port.

Thanks all,

I have the type 3 receiver with no lightening cuts made. My receiver like I said is not a DSA receiver, but an imbel assembled by DSA.

Now I know wtf everyone is talking about.

PS. Just banged another 100 rounds out of my FAL today. What a rifle!!! I am going to see if they will let me shoot it at the next local CMP match. I am not sure though because I think everything has to be U.S. Service configuration (i.e. 03a3 Springfield, Garand, m14 or Ar-15).

my .02:
The U.S. military should have adopted this weapon, and we should have gone with the necked down 7mm caliber.

Orso

Back