FAL help

Dave AA

My FAL does not have a hold open, so how do I adjust the gas system? I can't crank it down until the hold open fails to engage. Also, I can turn the gas plug, but it does not come out of it's housing. Please help! Thanks in advance! :)

No hold open, eh? Must be an inch pattern. Well, you could buy a metric hold open device ($15) that engages at the last round and adjust as standard.

Or, you could do as I initially did with mine. I set the gas adjusting collar about in the middle (3-4 on metrics). Adjust the collar down, between shots, until you have a malfunction. Move the collar back up a notch or two and run a few mags through it to be sure.

Post this question on the FAL Files discussion board at:

http://www.fnfal.com/falfiles/wwwboard/

You're almost certain to get a good answer.

I already posted on the FNFAL boards, just thought they were awfully clumsy. Destructo 66- what kind of malfuntion?

Depending on the style of gas plug, you need to push in on the button, press the lever etc. then turn the plug 90 degrees ( or so that the settings are horizontal instead of vertical). Then the plug should come out. If it still doesn't, perhaps you're gas system pin protrudes into the piston cylinder or is rubbing on the piston and thus not allowing the spring to extend, pushing the piston which pushes the plug out.

I adjusted my regulator down until it failed to fully eject the spent cartridge. You know, like the ejecting cartridge is halfway in and halfway out, like stove piping in auto pistols.

If I were you, I would really look into a replacement for your hold open that engages on the last round. For $15 it will function as FN intended, plus, you'll never get the "dead man click."

Back