Fair Deal?

Tonight I bought a pre 64 Winchester model 70 .270 with a SN#of 194xxx. Stock and metal is 90-95%. bore is clean. I paid $675 OTD. Does anyone think I got a good to fair deal?

Last edited:
Probably a fair price. Maybe a deal it, depends on when it was made and condition. I'm not familiar enough with SN's to have a clue as to when it was made.

MOST pre 64's made after WW-2 in common calibers just aren't worth nearly as much as a lot of folks think. Some in unusual calibers or configurations should bring a premium. A 270 or 30-06 made in the 1950's or 60's in average condition is usually a $600-$700 rifle. I've seen some in rough shape that I'd not pay $300 for. And others are worth well into 4 figures. Minor details can make a huge difference in value.

I paid $750 for my 1954 270 last year. I think it was a fair deal for me. It matters if YOU think you got a fair deal.

Jerry

A good deal is what YOU think a good deal is. I wouldn't pay that much for a rifle that wasn't brand new and even then I might not be willing to pay.

Now that I've seen the picture, I will say more: It looks like you got a really, really, great deal. That scope looks like a a Weaver K4, or possibly K6 scope. They are not worth a whole lot of money, being quite common and rather obsolete, as optics have come a long way with better lenses and coatings since then. Yet, on the other hand, with its steel-tube construction, it set a standard of ruggedness and durability that made it a legend in its time, that still echoes today. As long as it still works without fogging, I say it belongs on that rifle. It's period-correct; don't replace it with anything that isn't. The picture doesn't show the butt of the stock; does it still have the original butt-plate? Or, has someone trimmed the stock and added a recoil pad? That does make a difference in value, as well as just about anything else that alters the original configuration. That rifle would be worth more money in a less common caliber; however, from a useful standpoint, the two best calibers are 30-'06 Springfield, and 270 Winchester. Everyone should know that, and that's why most of these rifles are in those two calibers. "Congratulations, Sir; you have a National Treasure." ;)

Whatever it takes to help a fellow shooter out with his wife...

MAN, YOU GOT SUCH A GREAT DEAL! YOU DESERVE ANOTHER PURCHASE!:p

Great deal.
I know some ( I believe of the five digit s/n rifles ) are sought after for those that want to build USMC M70 sniper rifle clones, makes for an interesting project.

Thank your, sir. My bro.(who owns Granite Mt. Arms) says its the only rifle I will ever need. Get rid of all your modern rifles and and only hunt with your Pre 64 Model 70. Then you can be a true rifleman!

I told my wife after my 454 casull purchase.. Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy guns and ammo which is the same thing :-)

Well, you really ought to have a 22 rimfire as well. But it's true, you will never need another centerfire rifle, as long as you have that one. Of course, it never hurts to have a spare, but you could certainly get rid of other less-worthy items.

That scope looks like a a Weaver K4, or possibly K6 scope. They are not worth a whole lot of money, being quite common and rather obsolete, as optics have come a long way with better lenses and coatings since then. Yet, on the other hand, with its steel-tube construction, it set a standard of ruggedness and durability that made it a legend in its time, that still echoes today. As long as it still works without fogging, I say it belongs on that rifle. It's period-correct; don't replace it with anything that isn't.

Good points all. To add, those older Weavers came with a blued finish, which I always thought looked better on blued rifles instead of the shiny black finishes found on contemporary scopes.

Maybe an anniversary model steel tube k4... modern glass in a classic steel tube. I have one on my Savage 99, performs well and looks like it belongs there.

Back