Failure to go into battery.

TJ40

Inactive
I have a friend with a Ruger P90 .45 ACP that is having trouble with cast lead 230 gr RN. After shooting 5 to 10 rounds through a clean gun, the slide will not go into battery without assistance. The gun functions flawlessly with jacketed bullets. When he takes the gun apart to clean it, he finds that the chamber is leaded up preventing the round from fully entering the chamber.

I have no experience with Rugers nor have I seen this happen to any 1911's. Can someone help?

TIA

Tom

It sounds like he is either using the wrong bullet or not seating the bullets deep enough and the case mouth cannot seat properly on the chamber shoulder. This means that every time a round is pushed into the chamber, it shaves lead on the shoulder and eventually the buildup prevents seating at all.

Jim

It sounds to me like the bullet alloy is too soft and is shaving off into the chamber. Changing the seating depth may help, but I'd suggest a harder bullet.
Paul B.

TJ, I echo both answers and I've also seen at least 1 (mine)1911 show the same problem just from a buildup of bullet lube in the chamber. Make sure you clean all the excess off the bullets after you seat them. George

And (I hit the button to soon) check the loaded rounds at the case mouth for "extra lead" that was shaved when it was loaded into the cartridge. If you find any you can scrape it off with a fingernail. George

Just trouble-shooting here. Could be that he needs a .452" sizing die instead of a .454" that he might be using. Just a thought. I'd be willing to bet on the soft-lead theory myself. Adding a bit more tin and fluxing the lead should produce a harder bullet.

Back