Failure to Extract? or is it Eject?

MikeFromIowa

Help! I was at the range tonight and had a failure to tetract/eject from my MAS 49/56. The action is "stuck" and will only move about one-half inch to the rear and it appears that the bolt has "dropped" below the normal path that it rides as it moves. Any help in how to clear this problem would be appreciated, as would any help in preventing this in the future. By the way it is chambered in 7.62 and the ammo is Malaysian surplus.
Thanks!
--Mike From Iowa

This seems to be a common problem with the converted MAS. Send it back to the factory and have them correct their mistake.

Extraction is the removal of the case from the chamber. Ejection follows and is the discarding of the case from the gun altogether.

My friend has one which he sent back. It's better but not perfect. I may polish the chamber if necessary to help smoothen extraction.

There was another MAS owner on another web site with the same problems. He found out that aprox. 80% of the converted rifles had problems as you. If sent back they are supposed to fix the problem. Good luck-John K

Assuming that the rifle functions well, are these conversions a good bang-for-the-buck? As good of a value, as say, an SKS? Are all of the conversions done with chamber inserts, or are some rebarrelled? Thank You.

Mike, disassemble the dust cover see if you can get the bolt out. Then take a wood dowel and tap the case out if it doesn't come out with the bolt. You should send it back and have whoever sold it to you fix it. I convert a lot of these rifles and all are individuals. Converting the gas system to adjustable will help when using different types/makes of ammo.

Gary, you can get the mags from Century for $9.95. I also convert FAL 20 rd mags to work in these rifles.

George

Thanks for all of the feedback, I took it back to the shop I bought it from and the guy "fixed" the initial problem and advised that I try several types of ammo to "find" one that "works". Of course, he did also say that if that didn't fix the problem he would give me a refund.

VictorLouis: At the moment I think that the $225 I paid for my SKS was a better deal than the $295 I paid for the MAS. I think everyone should own a SKS.

George: What is the general nature of the problem with the conversion? Is it headspace, or the gas system, or a weak extractor? How do you convert a MAS to adjustable gas?

Thanks for the answers!
--Mike From Iowa

Mike, out of over 100 that I've had in the shop for problems the answer is all of the above. For the most part these conversions were done as quickly as possible and rather sloppily with little if any attention paid to how they turned out. Some chambers I've seen look like they were plowed instead of reamed. Problems run the gamut that you listed. About 50% can be made to function correctly by simply polishing the chamber, some need the gas tube "pinched", I've had a few that had the gas port almost closed and had to be drilled out. About 20 have had headspace problems. To make the gas system adjustable, remove the gas adjuster and tap the hole 5/16"-24 and installing two set screws nose to nose. With their beveled points the screws can be moved back and forth to adjust the amount of gas getting to the bolt. I might add that when these guns are right they are much better than an SKS. I own one myself and it's my favorite semi-auto rifle. The only trick to getting the conversion right in the first place is to treat the rifles as individuals. Production line type work doesn't go well here. George

George: Thanks for the quick reply, and the free information. I have polished the chamber and am going to take it to the range today and see if I can find ammo that it likes. If it works, I think that it will end up being a better value than the SKS.
Thanks!
--Mike From Iowa

Back