factory ammo requires hazmat?

Brutus

Never bought ammo on line. I know powder and primers require a hazmat fee but what about those bulk .22 lr loads?

Loaded ammunition does not require a hazmat declaration, but it does require a declaration that it's small arms ammunition. I don't know if that involves a surcharge.

It doesn't; the package requires a ORM-D label and it cannot go via USPS
That. ^^

Though, I believe the standards were supposed to have changed a few years back, and it may not technically be "ORM-D" any more. (Some kind of number code designation is more proper, I believe. But I could be wrong. There was a lot of blowback when the regulation change was suggested.)

I saw a cool video on testing the safety of ammo, run over, burnt, all sorts of things. In short its probably safer to ship than a can of cheese wiz..

Funny my ammo gets shipped and is dumped on the front steps without even a knock on the door. An order of plastic magazines on the other hand? Adult signature required and I can't even sign a form giving consent to leave it, almost always a takes a trip to the post office a day later - I guess a child could chew on the plastic.

Back