Fabricating firing pin for Ruger 96

gunhound

Looking for a gunsmith who has/can machine a firing pin for the Ruger 96 rifle.
These firing pins are non-existent for purchase.
137446.jpg

check you PM. I don't have the time, but I can recommend one of my classmates. He'll need the original broken one so he can reverse engineer it.

That pin, I thought, was always a weak design. You can weld it back together, but it has to be heat treated afterwards. On these, I annealed, then quenched them, and last, drew them to spring hardness, and they performed all right, but don't draw one past this, or it will be too soft. Draw it less, and it can break easier. Also, you have to watch the length when grinding and clamping to weld.

If you can have one machined cheap, go that route.

There is probably a market for them if someone could whip out a bunch -
This firing pin is the same for the Ruger 96/22, 96/22 Magnum and 96/17 HMR.

None are available to purchase and Ruger will not make them, despite the mass of people that own these great rifles.

MIne didn't break, just wore down too soon.

Does anyone know why that firing pin is cut away so much? Usually that is done to reduce firing pin mass, maybe to prevent slam firing. But I can't really see a need for making the firing pin that thin in a lever action.

What I am getting at is that if the firing pin were of a more conventional shape, it would be a simple job for almost anyone to make. The long reduced part would make it more fragile and could create misfires.

Jim

Jim,

One reason was for slam firing on pins like that, but the other had to do with too much mass for the hammer to strike correctly, if I remember. My guess is that it was a redesign when they were developing the gun, in that when they were trying to fire it, it was mis-firing over the mass problem, so they lightened the pin, instead of changing the hammer and spring design. They wouldn't have the slam fire problem, where this pin has a firing pin spring. The hammer and it's spring was sort of light on these.

I think Browning ran into this on a design for one of his guns, and found that lightning the pin stopped the mis-fire. I read about that somewhere, but where, I could not say now.

I thought something like that. But I think I could make that firing pin in a half-hour or so if I had a broken one to copy.

Jim

Back