Fabrica De Itajuba Brasil

First

Inactive
I just purchased what the gentlemen stated was a custom 8mm Mauser. The receiver has Fabrica De Itajuba Brasil on one side and MOD. 08/34.30 on the other. The gun has a very nice Monte Carlo stock and is in great condition. I cannot find anything within any of my gun books and was wondering what I have and maybe ebven what its worth?

Thanks,

First

I am not a Mauser expert but a few Googles brought up some information.

Brazil standardized on a Mauser rifle in 7x57 in 1908. They made a new purchase of 7mms from CZ in 1934. Brazil used no 8mms that I could tell. They got a lot of M1s from the US in WW II - there were Brazilian troops with us in Italy - and converted a lot of their bolt actions to .30-06 after the war. The stamp on yours 08/34.30 indicates it is one of those.

If yours is an 8mm it was rebarrelled from .30-06. IF. Be EXTREMELY careful before you try to shoot 8mm ammunition in this rifle.

Value?
Well you paid what you thought it was worth, didn't you?

Thanks Jim. I found the same information about converting 7 mms to .30-06 with no mention of an 8 mm. I'll continue to search and thanks again for the reply.

First

Just FWIW, most converted military M98 rifles are worth somewhere in the neighborhood of $300 to $500, depending on the quality of workmanship and the desirability of the complete product.

Whoever sporterized yours probably had a nice clean 8x57 bbl laying around to replace a pitted '06 tube.

As it stands, it has no particular C&R value.

I have one of those! 08/34 .30! I need parts for mine does anyone know what would fit? my 8mm bolt fits it but dont know if that means it would be safe right? would post pic but not sure how to yet.

Back