Fab Defense Makarov PPG Grip

JimmyR

Warning: the following post includes the implementation of an ergonomic, user friendly, and possibly "tacti-cool" grip on a commercial makarov pistol. Blasphemy may follow.

For all those who dare to continue, this is my initial thoughts on the Fab Defense Makarov PPG grip. This is designed to fit the Makarov pistol (single stack model). I purchased this from an eBay store based in Israel, and paid $45 with free shipping. This grip is designed to do two things: 1) provide a more ergonomic grip by extending the beavertail, rounding the edges, and making the grip fit the hand better than a stock grip and 2) add a thumb mag release to accomdate modern western shooters and make mag changes easier.

I only got it in the mail yesterday, and installed it onto a beater Russian commercial 380 Makarov (I paid $75 for the gun, so sue me). From the outset, I will say that the plastic that the grip is made out of is very firm, and doesn't flex much- almost reminding me of a G10 material in texture. The grip seems to fit my hand much better, and seems to be modeled after a Walther P99/PPX shape. I typically shoot a CZ 75 when I shoot a semiauto, and the feel is somewhat similar, especially in regards to the beavertail.

The other function of the grip is to add a thumb mag relaseto the gun. This is done my putting a metal bar along the inside of the grip that goes into the heel mag release in the gun, pinned into the center of the grip, and connected to a sliding leverat thumb height. By sliding the lever forward, the magazine is released, and my empty mages drop free. While it definitely seems to be placed securely in the mag release, it is definitely something I would test repeatedly before carrying with this gun. That said, the grip still allows you to access the heel mag release, so I guess even if it fails, you can still reload in the traditional manner.

Pics are included, including with my Bulgarian Mak with original grips for size comparasin.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 2016-03-03 19.54.58.jpg
    2016-03-03 19.54.58.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 426
  • 2016-03-03 19.55.06.jpg
    2016-03-03 19.55.06.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 430
  • 2016-03-03 20.13.07.jpg
    2016-03-03 20.13.07.jpg