FA Model 83 .454 Casull

PKAY

I went to the range last Friday (25 yd. indoor) midday with my FA Model 83 and S&W Model 29 (blued, 8 3/8" bbl). Firing the 83 first, I noticed two things: 1) the Winchester ammo with the 300 grain semi-jacketed flat nosed lead was WAY powerful, to the point of being almost too much; 2) the Winchester ammo with the 250 grain semi-jacketed hollow points was powerful but much easier on the recoil and overall easier to handle. The box doesn't disclose the powder charge. Are they different? Does Winchester stuff more powder into the cartridge with the 300 grain bullet than the 250?

After firing 60 rounds through the 83, 250 rounds of .44 Mag through the Model 29 felt like .22 rimfire! In fact, I shot my best group ever at 21ft., all DA too!

The biggest factor in the additional recoil you've experienced is the additional weight of the heavier bullet not the powder charge (in this case).

There's a big difference between the 250 and 300 Winchester rounds. The 250 @ 1300 fps would be considered a mid level .454 load (similar to a hot .44 mag load), while the 300 @ 1625 fps is a full house .454 load.

Thank you, gentlemen. At 1625 fps vs. 1300, what is the increased powder charge in the 300 gr. round? Just curious.

Whoa. As I've never shot downloaded .454C, I never knew that they only went 1300 fps.

If the loads you were shooting were both full power, the big difference in recoil is due mainly to the bullet weight.

If the 250gr bullet cartridge was a download and only going 1300fps, then the powder charge is a big factor in recoil.

If you have identical powder charges but different bullet weights, the heavier bullet will have more recoil and less velocity. The only way to get a heavier bullet to go as fast or faster than a lighter bullet (both shot from the same gun), you will need more (of the same) powder. Other faster burning powders can also be used to get the heavier bullet to go faster.

Back