FA .454 Casull & .45 LC

PKAY

I posted this on the pistol board. Thought it could get some response here as well. As you can see below, Henry from Anchorage says it's O.K. Any comments are appreciated.

I have recently purchased a FA Model 83 .454 Casull with a 7 1/2" bbl, an early production Field Grade by the serial number. In order to shoot .45 LC, the factory indicates I must return the gun to them for a retrofit with a .45 cylinder and attendant realignment at a cost of $300 plus s/h.

Just wondering at this since my S&W Model 610 10 mm digests .40 cal easily on the same full moon clips using the same cylinder, and the S&W .357's irrespective of model will shoot .38 specials without a cylinder swap out.
Is it a tolerance issue? In addition, one can't simply buy the .45 LC cylinder and interchange it either.

Any clarification or comments would be greatly appreciated. Incidentally, the quality and fit of the FA revolver is nothing short of phenomenal.
------------------

Henry Bowman
Senior Member posted November 04, 2000 05:58 PM            
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings from Los Anchorage, the early production FAs were all "Premieres" later they started using the "F" in the serial prefix to designate Field Grade. The earl models I've seen have a "D" prefix followed by a four diget or less number. Firing .45 Colts won't hurt anything, just be sure to clean all the crud from the chambers before firing any 454s. henry

PKAY
Senior Member posted November 04, 2000 06:15 PM            
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the response, Henry. The serial number of this gun has both a "D" and a "F" together followed by four digits. Does this make any difference?
------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY

The 45 Colt is slightly shorter than the 454. The cylinder is therefore reamed deaper for the 454. When the 45 Colt is fired in a 454 cylinder, lead and fouling get trapped at the front of the chambers. This buildup is difficult to remove. When you switch back to 454, your rounds may not seat all the way and this can cause a jam, sticky cylinder, or even a dangerous rise in pressure. This is particularly true given the close tolerances you mentioned. The .38/.357 Mag situation is a similar one also. Problems are encountered less often with those guns due to a greater tolerance and less pressure. They are still encountered, though, and fouling should be given careful consideration on any multi-caliber gun.

The reason you don't get this problem with your 610 might be due to two things. First of all, you are most likely shooting jacketed bullets. Also, the operating pressure of the 10mm is far below that of the Casull. I do believe that the 10mm will function in the 610 without the clips but it makes extraction difficult. This is not true of the .40. This is the case with the Ruger Convertibles, but don't quote me about the Smith.

If you handload, you shouldn't have any problems with just using the 454 exclusively and downloading for practice. This results in dirty cases from the lower pressure, but takes care of any fouling concerns. If you shoot the Colts, be sure to remove all of the fouling and lead before switching to the 454. Do a function check before you hit the range to make sure round will seat completely. Do this safely with the cylinder removed from the gun.

Since FA says you have to have a new cylinder, they are basically saying if you use 45 Colt, you void any warranties and/or liability concerns if the gun should fail. Not a lawyer here, but it sounds like something in that neighborhood.

As for the tolerance issue, I don't think that's the case. SAAMI dimensions are the same diameter-wise for both cases. The only difference is in length with an added .010" in the Casull.

Hope this helps. Never owned a Casull that I was able to fire. Good luck with yours.

Badgerarms - Thank you for the thoughtful and thorough response. I believe I may shoot .45 LC in the .454 for a while and see if I can keep the charging holes in the cylinder clear for .454.

Your comment at the end was puzzling. Have you not had good luck with the FA .454 Casull?

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY

Well, badgerarms, I did it. I went to the range and fired 19 .454 rounds from a box of 20 (kept one for post cleaning checking of cylinder fit). Then began firing from a box of 50 .45 LC from Black Hills. By the time I was half way through the .45 LC box, the gun became so fouled with lead residue from the RNL bullets, it ceased to function. I left the range, went home and thoroughly cleaned the arm. Did a post clean fit check of the cylinder charging holes with the left over .454 Winchester round (JHP BTW) and cleaned until the round slipped in and seated easily in each hole. Unless the rounds are jacketed, I don't plan to shoot any more .45 LC in the Model 83 chambered for .454.

Back