F N manfactured Model 8 Remington

All I can say is, "News to me!" I never heard of FN making a copy of either the Remington Model 8 or 81.

Both FN and Remington made the Browning Auto 5 shotgun; Remington called it the Model 11.

Jim

News to me too...Since I just inherited a Model 8, I'd be interested in know any/all info about FN manufacturing any of these guns.

I have no particulars on manufacturing or anything like that, but I saw one of these at a gunshow a few months ago here in Northern Virginia.

Very nice condition and a very spendy price.

I asked the same question over on The High Road and got some good responses:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=194753

I confess I had never heard of the gun. I thought at first maybe FN simply imported Remingtons, but apparently they did make them. I have read a lot about JMB, FN and Remington in regard to the A5 shotgun, but nothing about the rifle.

Jim

I may be reviving this thread, but I've got a Remington Model 8 in .35 cal Remington that was made by FN. Apparently, from my research, FN made a large number for Remington. The rifle is a design by John Browining. He sold the patent to Remington and Remington licensed it's manufacture to FN.

Here is a good article on the rifle:

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_5_48/ai_84145944

The Model 8 was one of the earliest American semiauto rifles. John Browning's patent application was filed June 6, 1900, and U.S. Patent #659,786 was granted on October 16, 1900. Browning promptly sold the patent to Remington, which started producing the rifle in 1906.

Remington introduced the Model 8 during a time when the company was offering few new centerfire models. The gun saw a production run of 30 years in which over 80,000 of the autoloaders where produced. Most had 22-inch barrels with plain open sights. Although no variations of the gun were offered, five different grades were produced ranging from the plainest Standard grade to the most deluxe Premier Grade. Mid grades included the Special, Peerless and Expert grades. Quality of wood and degree of checkering and engraving mainly differentiated these grades.

The gun was produced in four calibers: the Remington .25, .30, .32 and .35. This family of cartridges was designed to compete directly with Winchester, except in rimless form. The .25 Rem. was the alternative to .25-35 WCF; likewise, the .30 Rem, competed for the .30-30 market; and the .32 Remington went head-to-head with the .32 Win Special. The big brother of the family, the well known .35 Remington, was designed as a ballistic equivalent to the 33 Winchester. This cartridge found its own niche in the market and is the only cartridge from the series still produced by the major ammunition companies.

And here is a link to the patent, including all of the drawings:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?patentnumber=0,659,786

I see nothing in the cited article that says FN made Model 8s for Remington. Quite the contrary, the piece says: "...Remington, which started producing the rifle in 1906." I think if it says Remington Arms, Illion, New York, then it was made in USA.

FN made some number of them on their own hook; listing the .35 Remington as "9mm." Which could have led to some jolly times as Europeans tried to load one with 9mm Mauser or Mannlicher.

Ray Bridges - Remington Model 8 and 81

This Forum's for You.

www.thegreatmdl8.proboards79.com

A quote from one of my books.
" Considering it's large number of parts, reassembly of the Model 8
has no difficult points. The gun is so beautifully designed that it is
not possible to replace any parts improperly. "

I may just have to pick one of these up in .35 Remington.

Enjoy.

Back