F.E.G.s SMC .380 and 918 (9x18) !!!!!

Jody Hudson

I am in love, or perhaps lust: with the little FEGs. I have one in .380 (QuickShocks are on order for it) and the 9x18. They are smaller and lighter than the PPK, dependable (almost as dependable as the Makarov) and MORE accurate for me than any of my Maks!!!

They are thin, light and small. I did have one failure to feed with each of them when firing 300 rounds in each. And, of course none in thousands of rounds of firing my Makarovs.

The cartridge feeds nearly straight in to the chamber from the magazine on these, like the Makarov, so I expected ZERO malfunctions. As it is primarily the big jump the cartridge has to make from magazine to chamber that makes the Walthers such undependable ((^*%^%#

K.B.I. is the importer of these and the SMC comes in .380, 9x18 and .22 You may be able to find one at a wholesaler but perhaps not at K.B.I. at the current time.

Try one or two or three of these fine little jewels!

Jody,

I have a PA-63 in 9x18. I could not agree more about it being a fun gun to shoot. Mine has taken a few round to break in. It used to need a little help to fully chamber a round but it is now fairly reliable. It has been a good value for the dollar, especially when compared to a Walther which will cost more than twice as much.

Good Shooting,

Mark

ANY IDEAS???????

I did quite a bit of addititional shooting with the two F.E.G.s today. I have not cleaned them yet. The .380 is getting MORE reliable. The 9x18 had three failures to ignite the primer???? One took 5 or 6 double action repeated trigger pulls and then it went off????

Any ideas? Should I consider having a new firing pin made that is a tad longer? I wonder what that would cost? Should I consider a stronger spring for the hammer?

Since these fine little pistols are NOT well known, I wonder if there are any parts for them any where? KBI of course is not likely to be of much help as they have none in stock as of a few weeks ago and they are only the importer.

Any Ideas?

Hello. Was the 9x18 Mak ammo a different make than the .380? I've shot some of the Mak that has fairly hard primers. The FEG simply may not smack them as hard as the makarov and the problem solved by using different ammo. Unless the present pin is too short, I'd not have it lengthened as you MIGHT get pierced primers. One might have a bit heavier mainspring added, but that would make the DA pull heavier.

Just a thought.

Best.

Thanks Steven,

I'll look into the main spring idea. Since I would not use the double action UNLESS it was in self defense and then I'd not likely notice the trigger pull at all.

Oops, yes the 9x18 is surplus Chinese military I think, boxed as Norinco. It's my favorite, but not usually available any more.

Thanks!

As always, it pays to ask the folks here on TFL.

Any other ideas?

Hello, sir. No, not really. I'll bet we've hit upon it though. Do let us know how it works with different ammo.

Best and good shooting.

Thank you Stephen!

I will call my gun smith about a stronger main spring today.

I have several cases of my lovely Norinco ammo so I hope I may find a way to use it for practice, at least. I hope to use CCI Blazer and Triton otherwise and look forward to getting some soon.

Take care,

Jody

I recommend Baranoul JHP over Norinco (ack!). S&B and TCW ball, Barnaul ball, Blaser JHP are all good. I'd stay away from Corbon and Hornady as their bullets deform easily from recoil while still in the magazine.

Oleg,

You don't like my Norinco, I take it. ;)

What is this Baranoul and is there a web site where I may learn about it. I've been shooting 9x18 for almost 11 years and have not heard of the Baranoul ammo.

AND, I've found it's valuable to pay attention to your posts. :)

Thanks Oleg,

Jody

Follow link from http://makarov.com to their recommended ammo provider. $6.50 for 50 rounds of reliable JHP isn't bad! My other favorite ammo is aluminum-cased Blasers with Gold Dots but they run $13-15/50.

I had numerous misfires (6 out of 50 in an otherwise 100% reliable gun) with green box Norinco ammo and lousy accuracy as well.

I actually threw away the few rounds of Corbon I had left as the bullets got set back and overpressure caused the breech to open early and spew crud around. I didn't dare to fire the rest.

Jody, for some good inexpensive 9X17 ammo (.380acp) for your "other" FEG, try http://www.dansammo.com and order the Novisibirsk .380 at $50 per 500.

I'm chewing through my 2nd box of this stuff in my FEG APK MK II (cousin to your SMC--mine is all-steel and heavier. I'm jealous of yours). So far no jams, and remarkable accuracy. It is brass-cased, Berdan primed, and recent manufacture (not surplus).

Jody,
Good to hear from you again. I have looked at a PA-63 at my local gunshop. It is interesting, but I think that I will stick with my Makarovs. Besides, I just bought two new ones. An East German, and a Bulgarian, so I am tapped out for gun buys right at the moment. ;) So far, I have not had any bad experiences with Cor-Bon. For plinking, I shoot Wolf. You will be gratified to note that I have joined your holy crusade to try,and get Triton to make the Quick-Shok in 9x18. I think that as more, and more Makarov owners pester them, they will eventually get the message.:)

All Right, fellow Crusader!

I am still primarily preaching Makarov. However, the little FEGs are almost perfect! Still, the Makarov is the only perfect pistol ever made according to my experience.

When I need to be armed, it is still ONLY the Makarov and there is no second choice if I am certain I'll be where I may need a fast firearm at hand, and thus a pistol. Right now that would only be on those rare occassions when I work in the gun shop. And do I wish I had Triton Quick-Shocks to load it with!!! :)

Let us all raise our swords and call out from the round table of Makarov -- to the mighty Triton. And let us hope they hear our call! :) PLEASE, OH GREAT ONES AT TRITON, MAKE US SOME OF YOUR EXCELLENT AMMO IN 9X18 QUICK-SHOCK

Thanks denfoote for your note!

=====

Dave,
I'll check out that site and the ammo... Off I go.

Back