Extremely slow Brownells shipping

dvdcrr

I recently ordered some items from Brownells again. Last time it took 10 days to get my items using the free shipping option. This time their own tracking system says Shipped 8/5 and scheduled delivery of 8/13. Now here's the kicker. From them to me Google shows a simple 5hr, 18 minute drive. Can anyone here explain to me in practical terms how it takes them 8 days to get a package over such a short distance? Just trying to understand the situation.

It comes up on fedex, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is the "postal solutions" or whatever its called where Fedex takes it to your town and then instead of taking it to your house, they take it to the post office. (I know, brilliant, right?)

I pointed out to them last time that in a race with the Pony Express, they would've been beaten badly over this distance, by HORSES, but this fact was apparently lost on them.

Maybe they aren't actually shipping it from their facility, but are having it drop shipped from the vendor/manufacturer. Also, the carrier may be sending it to a centralized HUB for rerouting to your home.

Free shipping = cheapest way. That's usually UPS to the USPS, and then to you. It's not just Brownell's, about everyone is doing it. I get some stuff eleven days after I order it when I choose that option. Sometimes it just goes USPS and it's quicker. Just the way it is now days.

I have found that some stuff mailed for short distances take longer than stuff mailed from long distances. I think it has to do with how it is transported. Short distances are shipped by trucks and many long distance packages are shipped by plane. I have gotten things from California faster than from the other end of my state. I once had a slide crack on a Phoenix HP22 and I called them regarding the lifetime warranty in California. They asked me to mail them the cracked slide and they would replace it. I mailed it through USPS on Friday and I received a new on the next Friday. I'm still shocked that it took exactly a week which included them processing and mailing it back to me.

Automated sorting, all parcels are sent to a sorting center and redistributed to local sorting centers for loading on delivery trucks.

If I can get *FREE* shipping then I don't care if it takes a month. If it is packaged securely and it is the correct item, gimme free S L O W shipping every single time.

If I need something fast, that's on me for not planning better. In that case, I should pay for quick shipping.

Fedex ground predominately uses surface transportation, and is a separate operation from Fedex overnight and second day air express services. Our town has a Fedex air delivery facility, but the Fedex ground delivery is from a larger city 50 miles away.

Vendors show package status as "shipped" when they print the label and the package is placed in a bin for pickup, not when the delivery service has actually picked up the parcel. Pickup is usually the next business day. If the final delivery is through the USPS, then you can add at least another day to the delivery service.

Unfortunately delivery costs have increased in the last few years, a friend recently related that he bought a 49 cent part and paid $8 in shipping.

I pointed out to them last time that in a race with the Pony Express, they would've been beaten badly over this distance, by HORSES

Well let's not be too hasty here, remember those horses are a lot older now.

From them to me Google shows a simple 5hr, 18 minute drive.

Then maybe you should have simply popped over and picked it up in person.

I seriously doubt any carrier has a direct line to your front door. If you want "FREE SHIPPING", it will be going the cheapest means possible which is never the fastest means possible. So, either learn to be patient or pay for express shipping.

I live less than a hour from their Iowa retail facility. Didn't have the time to drive over so I had them ship an item UPS, since it is in state delivery should be 1-to-2 days tops. This is an item they had in stock in the retail store. Took over a week to get it...as I monitored the tracking it came through St Louis, Missouri then to Chicago before arriving. Indicates they're getting the items shipped directly from suppliers.

dvdcrr said:
I pointed out to them last time that in a race with the Pony Express, they would've been beaten badly over this distance, by HORSES, but this fact was apparently lost on them.

The cheapest rate for the Pony Express was $1/half ounce... which is nearly $30 today. A one pound package from Brownell's would cost you $960 to ship!

Careful what you wish for!

Never use the "free shipping" option unless you don't need the item(s) in the order.

If you're in any hurry whatsoever (anything less than a week), it's always worth it to pay for 'standard' shipping.

I will tell you, however, that I have a dealer account and pay the $50 / year for Brownell's "Edge" program.
Free 2-day shipping ... on almost everything. Well worth the $50.

It takes my mail 4 to 5 days to go 5 miles down the road. Why? It goes 125 miles to the sorting facility and then back.
Got ya beat, unfortunately.
It usually takes 7-9 days to mail something across town.
...Because our sorting facility got closed down in 2014, and everything gets trucked 170 miles away to be sorted.

The (bigger) city and surrounding towns about 45 miles north of us have it worse, though. Their mail comes here in a trailer and waits for ours to be added, before continuing on to the sorting facility the next day. Then it stops here while ours is unloaded, and continues on the day after. They have another two days of transit time.

By the time they get a bill in the mail, it's already past-due!

I live outside a small-ish city. Several years ago, they closed the postal delivery unit serving my town, and our mail is now delivered out of the main post office in the city. Outgoing mail gets sent to the next state for initial sorting.

We can't blame Brownells or hold them accountable for the antics of the USPS, UPS, and/or FedEx. Once Brownells sends the product out the door, it's out of their hands. And if the product is being drop shipped, it was never in Brownells' hands, so their control ends when they forward the order to the actual supplier.

Back