Extreme "tactical" rifle, Sig, HK or Blaser ??

Rob Pincus

SHOT show is right around the corner and I am planing on getting a tactical rifle from one of the above mentioned companies.

I am looking for opinion based on experience. I realize that not too many people have played with the Blaser R-93 tactical, but perhaps more of you have experience with offerings from the other companies.

I already have a standard Blaser and a Steyr Scout. Also, I already have several Remingtons. I am looking for something more "exotic" for the collection.
I sold my .50 BMG not too long ago, and I am not in the market for another one, so forget the big-bangers.

I'm not sure what "tactical" Blaser you're talking about, but I have a UIT rifle. This gun looks great and seems to have great potential. Problem is, I've never shot it because I can't get parts for it out of SIG. Nothing like supporting your products in the marketplace, eh? I may have to try again, hoping SIG has cleaned it's act up a bit. I'm not holding my breath though.

If you want something really out of the ordinary, try to obtain a Sako TRG41. These are very uncommon and fun to play around with. I have a friend with one, and it's a great gun. Only $5500, but if you have the means, well...

Sig imports the Blaser R93 "Tactical" Rifle. That is what I have always seen it referred to as. it has interchangable barrels for .223 and .308 and a straight pull bolt action.

Depends on whether or not you like the Blaser Tactical stock. You've played with the regular R93 so you know how great the trigger and that straight bolt action can be.

I personally like the Steyr SSGs and Accuracy Internationals AW series.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Accuracy Internationals AW[/quote]

Oh Oh... so do I.

Give me an A
Give me a W
Give me a P

Whats that spell?

DFA*

* Chandler's Books. ;)

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

I looked at one of Accuracy International's weapon's last year at SHOT and I thought it was quite a bit on the Heavy side. Supposedly very accurate, but I've never shot one.

Try on a TRG-21 for size. I won't part with mine for anything, regardless of the price. It's a sub 1/2 MOA shooter CONSISTANTLY. Other big name, high zoot guns tout accuracy, but IMHO (and that of others as well) they don't hold a candle to the consistancy of the TRG-21/41. They're not cheap, but parts are available, it's simple to work with, and my cold bore shots are dead on every time! Simply the finest bolt gun that I've ever shot. Period.

Good luck!

------------------
"There's gunpowder and there's pu**y. Live by one, die by the other, and love the smell of both."

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I thought it was quite a bit on the Heavy side.[/quote]

I believe my AWP weighs in at 14 lbs with bipod, sling & loaded mag (scope included of course). Is that too heavy??? Well, it isn't something I'd really want to go with where I may have to snap shoot. But for hunting where a long shot, where you got time to set up, may be required......

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Supposedly very accurate[/quote]

I wouldn't know.... I'm unable to shoot up to the rifles potential. I'm averaging consistant .5 MOA Groups out to 300 yards (as far as I can shoot locally). There have been more then a few times when the sun was aligned with the moon and stars & hell was frosted over where I've gotten =< .25 MOA. But that is the exception due to operator abilities not being up to par. I'm told that Malcolm Cooper can pick up one of the AW series rifles and shot <.20 MOA on demand.
Maybe in my next life I'll get to that level. ;)

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited January 04, 2000).]

If you have to tote and run around in the field, the AWP is definitely more of a Monica Lewinsky than a Heidi Klum. However, if it's going to be used mostly from a fixed position it's not that bad.

Remember though that most "sniper" rifles with bi-pods, sling, scope and a bull barrel will easily come up to 12+ lbs.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Remember though that most "sniper" rifles[/quote]

NO NO NO...

The Military has Snipers & Sniper Rifles
LE has Sharpshooters & Counter-Sniper Rifles
Civilians have Targetshooters & Precision Rifles. ;)

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)

[This message has been edited by David Schmidbauer (edited January 04, 2000).]

Back