extractor

ammo.crafter

The extractor on my Colt series 80 Gov't Model no longer works properly.

I was unable to remove it and wonder if it might be slightly bent.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how it remove it?

The extractor functions as a spring loaded claw and should have curvature. If the extractor tunnel not been cleaned recently, it may need a squirt of solvent and some time to loosen crud. Both of my 1911 pattern guns, even clean, will require a prying tool to remove the extractor. Protecting a screwdriver will keep you from marring the finish.

I assume you havent removed the extractor from your pistol before. If so, and you have fired a lot of rounds through it, its quite likely that enough burnt powder has accumulated to stick the part in the extractor tunnel.

If you arent familiar with the Series 80 system, you do have to remove the firing pin stop as well as the firing pin plunger before the extractor will come out. I normally depress the plunger while pushing the firing pin in and while keeping tension on the firing pin, release the plunger in order to hold the firing pin forward. Slide the firing pin stop out, then put my hand over the rear of the slide and depress the the firing pin plunger and remove the firing pin. After that, I take a small taped screwdriver or punch and move the extractor back slightly and shake out the plunger and the small spring under it.

Back