extra ammo and you?

ReserveCop

For those of you who have decided to carry a revolver as your legally carried concealed handgun, do you also carry extra ammo in addition to the 5 or 6 rounds your revolver holds?

If so, how (i.e. loose, Speedloader, etc.)?

And, how much?

And, where on your person?

Thanks for your opinions.

When I carry the sp101 I carry 5 extra rounds on a speed strip in my front left pocket. When I carry the sheriff model, I usually have a few rounds floating around in the pocket.

Depending on how I carry the gun, I'll carry anywhere from 1 to 4 reloads.

If I'm carrying my Model 19 in my shoulder holster, it has two 2x3 pouches on the off side. I'll occasionally also put a speed loader in my pocket for a really fast reload.

If I'm carrying my Model 042, I'll carry either a spare speedloder or two, or two Bianchi strips, depending on how I'm dressed.

If I'm carrying my Model 28 or my 58, which I rarely do, I'll carry 1 or 2 speed loaders with me.

I carry five in the gun and that's it. I don't like carrying extra stuff around on me. I guess I'm a minimalist. However, I also think a prolonged fire fight is extremely unlikely. Any situation I would be involved with I think will be long over one way or another before my gun gets empty.

YMMV,
RJ

I figure if I have to load it's going to have to be quick so I carry a Safariland Comp-II, with a Safariland Split Six holder (it's an old one don't know if the still make them.

Situationally Dependant

Normally I do not carry a reload for my GP-100. In nice, suburban Northern Virginia, I assess the possibility of a "greater than six" defensive gunfight as approaching zero. However, there have been times (for example, when one of my daughter's car broke down at night in Richmond) when I carried two speed loaders.

Taurus Model 85 and a speed strip with 5 more Corbons. When, I am carrying an autoloader, I don't carry any extra.

RH3, I bought mine from Dillon, the are made by Bianchi.

Terry

RWK,

Can only suggest that AT LEAST ONE reload, regardless of gun, be carried AT ALL TIMES (I carry 'New Yorkers").

When limited to only one wheel (never) I have at least one speedloader extra (normally when carrying a normal-sized wheel it's in a fanny pack with two or three s-loaders; when carrying Redhawk(s) just one spare off-side).

Never forget Murphy is lurking.....

When carrying a 5 shot snub, I carry 2 spare speed strips each loaded with 5 rounds in my front left pants pocket. Downloading the strips by one leaves more strip to grab. I find the strips easier to use on the small frame guns than speed loaders, and you can top off a partially loaded gun without having to empty it. The strips also conceal easier.

ReserveCop-- Bianchi makes Speed Strips, which are rubber strips into which you insert the rim of each cartridge. You can get them at many firearm and police supply places, like Dillon, Gall's, etc., if you can't find them where you live. BTW, I am reserve LE, and it's easier for me to qualify with my snubby using speed strips instead of speedloaders, although I still have to hustle.

One reason I carry a second gun is because my primary gun is usually a Single-Action Revolver. Considering the speed of a reload, I don't bother carrying spare ammo for my single-actions.

I do carry a couple of Bianchi Speed Strips for my M-640, and when I carry my Colt Officers' ACP I carry a spare magazine.

Doc Hudson

Whenever I carry a 5-shot .38 I carry at least one Speedstrip with 6-rounds in a small flat fabric pouch in front of the hip and usually one HKS speedloader either in a small pouch on the belt or in a pocket as well. Whenever I carry a S&W 625 in .45 ACP I carry 3 full-moon clips in pouches on the belt (2 in front of the hip and one behind the gun), which is what I carry for IDPA. I also carry 3 1/3-moon clips in a watch pocket.

Doc Hudson:

What kind of holster do you use for your SA revolver?

Back