Extending seasons with bows.

JimDandy

Does anyone here bow hunt? Is there an archery based Firing Line type of website you go to? I've had it in the back of my mind for a while, and I've started looking but the problem I have is I don't even know what I need to know to start asking.

Jim,

There is to much about a Bow that has to be measured and fitted to your particular size, strength, and arm length, to be able to give you a very generic answer that will help you any. My best suggestion, is to go to a REPUTABLE dealer, that can show you all the things you will need, and can make the adjustments that are needed to the equipment you choose to buy.

This will be a purchase that will probably be around the $600.00 to $1000.00 mark, but like everything else, is only limited to the thickness of your wallet.

Talk to some hunters that already have experience, and get their ideas, before you buy, so you will have some idea about what may, or may not work for you.

If you get set up right the first time, you will be happy with bow hunting, but if you don't get set up right, it can cost you a fortune, and can be very frustrating.

Hope this helps.

ArcheryTalk is, without question, the premier archery discussion forum on the internet.

It is far less tightly moderated and as a result has a "character" decidedly different than The Firing Line. Depending on your preferences, that can have it's good and bad points.

Well Brian you seem to know what you're talking about. Unfortunately archery specific shops are few and far between out here. Especially one licensed to carry the bow I've quasi set my sights on. And "character" isn't high on my list of forum attributes.

I'm looking at the Bowtech Assassin. I like how customizable it is- from draw weight to Let off. What are your opinions on it? Mostly the quality, the customizable nature i.e. is that on paper, or is it real world applicable? What is your verdict on that cam system?

Honestly, it depends on your goals. Any bow on the market today is plenty good enough for the average shooter to use to hunt.
But there are qualities that enhance accuracy... and the BowTech lacks most of them. ;)

It'll work though. You can see my advice in that other thread. Unless you plan to work at it and get really good it really doesn't matter much.

The BowTech has what hunters want. It's short and light and fast. Short and light are both negative accuracy traits, fast is too unless it's done right.

#1 uncompromising advice though. DO NOT "over bow" yourself. You don't need a 70# bow to shoot Water Buffalo, you sure as heck don't need it for deer or elk or anything else in America. Lighter draw weight bows are easier to shoot well and more fun to shoot.

50# of draw weight is MORE than enough. Either get a 50-60 and set it low or get a 40-50 (my recommendation) and set it at/near max. Those numbers are all estimates. Any given bow may have a min/max 3# or so higher/lower than it's listing. I've seen 50-60s that were really 45-55 and I've seen 40-50s that could go from 37-55. Typically, you'll get about -3/+3. A 40-50 will be 37-53 or so.

Honestly, if I had a brand-new Hoyt Pro-Comp Elite, I'd be perfectly happy shooting deer at 42#. It'd be far faster and produce more kinetic energy than the bow I used from 1993 to 2010, which was set at 57#. The Pro-Comp would be faster, quieter, more accurate, more powerful and make me hold less while drawing just as smooth.

Well Brian you seem to know what you're talking about. Unfortunately archery specific shops are few and far between out here. Especially one licensed to carry the bow I've quasi set my sights on. And "character" isn't high on my list of forum attributes.

I'm looking at the Bowtech Assassin. I like how customizable it is- from draw weight to Let off. What are your opinions on it? Mostly the quality, the customizable nature i.e. is that on paper, or is it real world applicable? What is your verdict on that cam system?

I will say this about Bowtech, I dealt with them 3x on broken/shattered limbs on my Bowtech Liberty, the 3rd time I called it quits. There CS just wasn't there, and the last time I had the lbs replaced on the Liberty their reply was " be glad they broke now, we're it going to warranty those limbs much longer" so much for lifetime warranty.

I also once paid $50 to have warranty replacement limbs over nighted as our season was only a week and a half away, 3 weeks later they finally showed up. I'm sure they probably got their limb issues cleaned up by now, but a sour taste was left in my mouth. I just can't trust my hunt to them.

The bow shot great, when it was shooting, but it was constant problems.

There are much better companies out there when it comes to CS ( Mathews, Hoyt) and I've since switched to Mathews and will probably use this bow for quite a number of years (Helim)

I guess I just haven't been impressed with Bowtechs, sure they shoot just as good as the next but I think they leave something to be desired.

As Brian said 50 is plenty of weight to kill deer with. A 50-60# bow will be easier to resell too and they are fairly common.

My Mathews is a 70#, and it works for me. I don't have any issues hunting with it, but I shoot A LOT, so muscle memory and comfort with it are good.

That being said I hunted for probably 10 years with a 60# bow and never had any issues. It's all just personal preference when it comes to what weight you're comforatable with shooting. If your just starting then a lower weight would be the thing to go with. Drawing a bow works different muscles than your body may be used to using and being over bowed initially could lead you to develop bad habits ( target panic) and you don't want that just starting out.

+1 on Archery Talk. Lots of good people there who know what they are talking about. I've said it before here and I'll say it again. Archery equipment is a lot more like golf than it is like guns. A bow that fits one person will be totally unsuitable for another person. You absolutely must be fitted with a bow that fits you - your draw length, your shoulder strength, your eye sight, etc. Trying to use a poorly fitting bow will cause you to develop bad habits that will haunt you for the rest of your archery life.

I agree with Doyle.

Find the one that fits you. Maybe go to the store, look at a few that you like in your budget, and get a feel for each one.

You just kind of 'know' when you've found "the one". Lol but really, fit is most important I think

Back