Extar EP9

MTT TL

I purchased an Extar EP9. (Not Sold in Stores!)

On line it runs $439 delivered to your FFL.

It is another semi-auto AR9 Style pistol that takes Glock Magazines and is blowback operated. It comes with a pistol brace mounted and has a QD receiver below the brace. There is a flat top weaver rail on the top and underneath the barrel. The barrel is threaded with a little compensator installed.

It's selling points are low price and weight, high reliability and accuracy, magazine compatibility. It is very accurate and reliable. I have about 350 rounds through it and have been quite pleased with it. While 350 rounds is not that much it gave me no issues with standard factory loads 115-147gr. In addition to Glock factory mags I also used Promags and from two other makers all without issue.

I have noticed the following issues:

- There is notable friction between the bolt and receiver. I am curious how it would hold up under extended fire under adverse conditions. My concerns are over heating and flex.

- The bolt is a monster to pull back with the charging handle. It is 20-25 pounds which is pretty stiff for a 9mm. In addition to the friction from the bolt there is friction from the charging handle rubbing against the receiver. This randomly increases the friction for the charging handle.

- I removed the bolt to check the upper/lower fit with a flashlight. When I did so the buffer rode forward and locked the upper and lower together. To get it unlocked I had to remove the buffer tube under tension. I then discovered that the buffer detent pin is actually fixed. This requires you to assemble and disassemble it under tension. The reason for this is because the lack of strength of the receiver will not support having a hole drilled for a detent pin.

Still everything appears to work well enough for a bargain pistol. I would recommend it as a good trunk or home defense gun.

Back