Explain why a sporter/precision hybrid rifle is a bad idea

as someone who wants to

a) do moderately serious informal target practice to improve as a shooter. Mostly at 100 yards but eventually the odd trip out to crown land for some long range work. 200-300 yards.

b) hunt

the idea of owning only one centerfire rifle and scope is appealing. Since Im not competing I'm not sure if I need a 12lb bull barrel rifle. but I would still like to be able to shoot targets the size of a deer's vitals out to longer ranges eventually. I understand heat stringing with a thin bbl will show its face here during my practice sessions but is it THAT big a factor? can I just keep shooting and compensate for the stringing or does it just go all over the place?

Rifles Im considering are sako's 85, rem 700.(left hand rifles) these are 7.5lb guns and I should be able to load down my calibre 30-06 or .308(I reload) to accomodate for longer practice sessions with recoil. For hunting Im thinking of picking up a macmillan stock which would drop the weight down about a LB, making the rifles easier to carry.

thanks for reading! how much of this is a bad idea?

Last edited:
Don't know why it would be a bad idea. Pretty much how most of us do it.
Just about everyone I know does all their shooing with traditional, "pencil" barreled rifles.

What you're describing sounds like any of a half-dozen rifles I own. I've got rifles like that in .223, .243, .308, and .30-06.

It sounds like a great idea! Go for it.

I just need more than one; however, your thoughts are on target. Having had several 700LH, and still have 2, I'd get the 700SPS. 24" barrel, synthetic stock. Targets and deer - 308. Targets and large deer - '06.

Your dream rifle makes perfect sense, and you can buy one over the counter at just about any sporting goods store in the US. I have never heard anyone say that an accurate sporter weight rifle is a bad idea. In fact, stores sell hundreds of thousands of them annually in the US.

Now, about your outing. I am not quite sure what "crown land" is. You see, we changed owners a few years back (1783). But hey, it sure sounds like fun!

Back about forty years ago, I was mumbling around about a "really good" hunting rifle. I finally bought a Weatherby Mark V with a 26" #2 profile barrel in .30-'06. I'd call the barrel a medium sporter. Definitely not a pencil.

So I tweaked the forearm bedding and put a Canjar trigger on it.

The result, through some 4,000 rounds, has been a sub-MOA shooter. Five shots in 3/4 MOA, usually. I've fired ten-shot groups in rather rapid fashion and had 1.25 MOA. It's sub-MOA at 500 yards as well as at 100.

Almost all the shooting was with handloads, and mostly with Sierra bullets.

Plenty-enough precision to suit me, and darned sure good for coyotes, deer and elk.

No reason you can't use a sporter weight barrel to hit out to longer ranges. People do it all the time including me. If your planning long strings of fire at extended ranges a bull barrel would be best. But if your willing to slow down and wait between shots there's no reason an accurate sporter barrel can't do the job. I was just watching a nutnfancy review of the ruger american rifle and savage axis and he was hitting out to 400 or so with a sporter barrel so its very possible. You just have to make a compromise.

Back