Explain This to Me, Please!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterGunn

This is a testimonial from Shooterdave who seems to be a very satisfied Kimber owner. The post doesn't seem to make sense to me. Would anyone of us spend $20,000 on a brand new car and accept anything less than perfection??? Obviously, some of us would.

"I just got and shot my new Custom Classic last night and wow!--can this puppy can shred paper At 10 yards I was getting tiny, ragged holes where ostensibly 14 rounds had passed (which is amazing accuracy, especially for me).

The pistol is a fine testimony to the machinist's art, and I was especially pleased with the gun's fit considering that it is Kimber's "bottom of the line" model. Slide-to-frame fit is scary tight (perhaps too tight?) and the beavertail is mated to the frame with extremely close tolerances. Trigger might have been in the 4.5 lb range and it was very crisp with zero creep-like breaking glass.

In all, I ran 200 rounds of 230 grain ball through the gun, and experienced only two hiccups.

1) Bullet nose in the magazine nudged the slide stop up in the middle of a string-will wait and see if this is a recurring problem, and will consider replacing/milling slide stop.

2) Failure to eject-almost a stovepipe, but the casing got caught parallel to the barrel which really chewed up the casing mouth. This is a problem that I will have to address now, and I blame the extractor, since the gun was throwing casings almost straight back-the rear bevel of the ejection port was dotted with brass specks where the cases would bounce off and it's concievable that this one casing just didn't clear the slide. Extractors have always been an Achilles heel of the 1911 design so I'm not discouraged-might try an aftek adjustable extractor."

Can you believe this is a satisfied shooter??? For those of us who own SIGS, HKs, Glock malfunctions are very rare (unless you got one of those nasty .40 229s that seem to plague the SIG name, or have a "one in a million" lemon). When I spend $600+ on ANY gun, it better work, or its going back. This notion of accepting anything less than perfection, or expecting to invest further into a brand new gun, just to make it work right, is crazy to me. Can someone explain this to me???

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

Maybe he knows, as I do, that he is a hell of a lot more accurate with the Kimber than he would be with HKs or Glocks. BTW, 7,000+ rounds through my four Kimbers with no jams yet...

It takes a few hundred rounds for an auto to shoot in,folks. If he puts another coupla hundred rounds through that thing and still has glitches,THEN there's cause for concern.

Do you drive a brand new car flat out?

PerterGunn, I like my Kimber, and so far am very happy with it. That's it--nothing more you need to understand.

Everyone makes decisions that fit his wants and needs. I was simply trying to inform everyone of my experience, so that others might better make their OWN decision.

[This message has been edited by ShooterDave (edited November 19, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by ShooterDave (edited November 19, 1999).]

Dave,

I disagree. If the trend in gun purchases is to spend $600.00 on a gun, regardless of design, (I'm not necessarly picking on 1911's here), isn't it in all of our best interests to deal with the problem of poor quality. I am not disparaging your particular choice, if you want a gun that doesn't go bang EVERYTIME you want it to, that's your choice. What I am concerned about is seeing this become more and more of a reality for those of us who purchase weapons for there intended purpose, ending conflict in extreme circumstances...and surviving.

Thank you so much for being an example to us all.

------------------
"By His stripes we are healed..."

PeterGunn

All other things being equal, I would rather have a pistol that works perfectly out of the box rather than one that requires a 150-250 round break-in period. Given that making every pistol perfect before shipping would require lots of expensive time, labor and management/engineering effort, I would rather break-in the pistol myself while getting it sighted in and learning to use it than pay an extra $200 or so for guaranteed out-of-the-box reliability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back